stiffener

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ravari, May 24, 2011.

1. ravari

ravari New Member

Hi!
    I have a big problem about designing stiffener in a high speed craft,
    what is stiffener exactly?:?: which information I need for designing ? please give me some useful picture.

2. Nurb

Nurb Junior Member

What high speed craft are you designing specifically?

Post some background information and a few drawings of what you are asking about.

3. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

If you don't know what a stiffener is, you shouldn't be designing high speed craft!

oataru likes this.
  4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Or stiffeners for high speed craft.

Look, developing these things are generally simple and common engineering principles. In most cases a column's structural effectiveness, is equal to the stiffness divided by the density of the material employed. For beams and panels, the structural efficiency is equal to the cube root of the stiffness divided by the material's density. These are very simple algebraic computations, preformed daily be engineers. If you don't have a grasp of what's involved, it usually best to get some help. Hence the possible reason for your arrival here. As has been pointed out, you'll need to provide a lot more information about what you're doing, then just an open ended question that can't be answered without specific criteria, that establish the parameters of the calculation.

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

A structural member which stiffens a part which would otherwise be either unable to carry a given load or would flex too much when loaded.
    It can also serve to improve, either locally or globally, the vibrational behavior of a structure.
    It can also have an important role in the sea-keeping performance of the craft.

You need to define:
    - which of the above uses it should be designed for
    - do you want to design it by direct calculation or by following the iso or classification societies' rules
    - type of loads it is designed to carry
    - the intensity of the said loads
    - fatigue requirements which have to be satisfied
    - eventual vibrational requirements which have to be satisfied
    - geometrical shape and constraints
    - materials to be used for the stiffener
    - materials used for the part which has to be stiffened
    - construction methods to be employed
    - etc.

6. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

Stiffener is a structural member which support certain area of plating, as opposed to girder, which support one or more stiffeners.

Stiffener is sized according to design load to plating area it provides support to.

7. ravari

ravari New Member

I'm designing a planning hull craft.
    please give me some picture about stiffeners.

8. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, you can't say that you are designing a planing boat (or any other type of boat) if you don't even have a clue about what do stiffeners look like. :eek:

I would suggest you to better dedicate yourself to the styling part of the job and leave the structural design to an engineer, a naval architect, a boat designer or some other person who has some knowledge about mechanics of structures, if you want the job done in a quick and correct way. Otherwise, take your time, start studying some basics of structural design, and proceed with your project when you are sure that you have it well understood.

Cheers!

9. ravari

ravari New Member

Well,I want to do that my self . I read something about other port of structural design such as plating, fatigue,... and I use classification societies' rules for them.
    Now, please guide me what I should do.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The best guideance it to show you the way to a close-by Naval Architect. Where in the planet is IIk?

oataru likes this.

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'll guess eastern Europe Gonzo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.