Backup Stern Tube seal

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by DSCMEARL, Sep 30, 2010.

1. DSCMEARL

DSCMEARL New Member

Is there a product out there that acts as a backup for a stuffing box. In case too much water drips through the packing or there is a larger failure. I think something like this would be a good safety feature to have on a boat.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Stuffing boxes generally don't have catastrophic failures. They start leaking more through time. Dripless seals do fail suddenly

3. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Yes.

Its called a

BUCKET

or you could use one of these like I have on my boat

[​IMG]

4. DSCMEARL

DSCMEARL New Member

Wicked Good,

I see that is made by Lasdrop. What makes that different from a conventional stuffing box.

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

If you feel the need for a backup when using mechanical seals, then simply put the standard packing box onto the log, machine down the inboard end to accept the rubber hose for the mechanical seal, then add the mechanical seal as per standard, this way the packing can be pulled up if the need arises and the mechanical seal will work perfect just the same...I have done this from new build for one owner, no worries.

The carbon ring mechanical seals like PPS for instance do spray a slight mist after a while, simply make an acrylic cover for the area around the seal, like a U shaped bridge, and silicon it to the bottom of the boat, no more mist sprays..I do this for EVERY installation now, solves the problem before it starts.

6. DSCMEARL

DSCMEARL New Member

Landlubber,
    thats an interesting approach. Do you have a lot of experience with a PSS. I didn't realize they start to spray water after some time. Do you like a conventional stuffing box or the PSS.
    Kindly,

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...yes I have used the PSS brand (and still do, it is the brand of PPS that i use....)

I would prefer them any day to a dripping shaft seal...there should never be water in the bottom of a boat.....just remember to install a simple mist shield over the seal area.

8. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Very good advice from Landlubber. I just saw this arrangement on a continious duty harbour taxi.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.