Backup outboard and Trim Tabs

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bc575, Oct 21, 2004.

1. bc575

bc575 Junior Member

Hello Everybody, pls accept my poor "boating" languae as my knowledge with boating is still basic and building up.

I have contracted a custom made workshop to build my first 20 ft Fiber boat. The problem I am facing is in installing a 10 hp backup outboard to the boat's 115 hp Mercury main engine.
    The Mercury is installed in the middle and the backup will be installed to the right side (looking from behind) . I also plan to install trim tabs and I was told by the shop that this is not possible as the 10 hp backup engine will occuppy the right area of the transom and will contradict with the trim tabs. Any ideas?

2. B. Hamm

B. Hamm Junior Member

A sailboat style outboard bracket may work, they usually extend the outboard outwards from the transom so may well clear the trim tabs.

Bill H.

3. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

These outboard brackets can even be bought in the foulding type. By foulding the bracket the outboard mover up and comes out of the water, it remains staight up and doesn't extend beyond the stern as much as usual.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.