Moloka'i Strait 75 / Eric Sponberg

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Doug Lord, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moloka'i Strait 75 / Eric Sponberg / Cherubini Classic 20

I wanted to post this so that the community here can see first hand some of Eric's work.Anybody remotely familiar with the boatdesign forums knows of Eric's generous help on many different topics.
    The 75 just had it's worldwide debut at the Ft.Lauderdale Boatshow. Here are pictures and lots of detail on this boat that started as a 72 footer but grew to 75 with the addition of a swim platform:
    Moloka'i Strait 75
    Address:http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/Molokai72.htm Changed:12:28 PM on Monday, August 7, 2006
    ====================================
    Also at the show were two versions of Eric's classic speedboat design, the Cherubini 20, that are now available with gas or diesel power. Here are details on this extraordinary boat:
    Cherubini Classic 20
    Address:http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/CC20.htm Changed:11:59 AM on Thursday, October 12, 2006
    =================
    Congratulations, Eric!

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Some of us just talk the talk.
    Eric walks the walk!
    To coin an old Aussie phrase... Bloody good job mate!

1 person likes this.
  3. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

good stuff and good website

4. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I am not so sure what to think about wood colored glass-boat.

My ideology is more in the lines of being "honest" - if you are a fiberglass boat its allright - don't be ashamed and pretend being wooden...

5. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Pictures and comments

Many thanks to Doug for tooting my horn for me, and to those who have written in. Below are some recent photographs of the MS 75 and the Cherubini Classic 20.

The purpose of the speedboat was to advance the technology of printed images and incorporating them into a boat laminate. Basically, the computer-generated image works, but it is very difficult to carry out--labor intensive and requiring a very high degree of accuracy and expertise. We also encountered a fading problem whose cause we know, but because of a change in builder (from the now-defunct Independence Cherubini Company to Cherubini Yachts with different personnel and management) they have elected to not pursue the printed image technology. Rather, there is a nice market out there that likes the look of wood and the maintenance and construction in fiberglass. Therefore, the Cherubini Classic 20 has a complete fiberglass hull and deck, and a real wood deck is overlaid and glued to the fiberglass. The boat looks great and runs like a dream. It now comes powered with I/O drives either in gasoline (Mercruiser with an Alpha drive) or diesel (Yanmar with a Bravo drive). The smaller Mercury jets are being discontinued, and their only model now, the 250 HP, does not fit in the boat, teh powerhead is too high. So if you want a jet powered boat, Cherubini will build it, but you have to have a raised cowling on the engine cover. This affects the appearance of the boat which some people don't like. We are hoping eventually to provide a conventional prop drive like a true inboard with a 4.3 liter gas engine and a V-drive, but the parts for that version still have to be fitted to the boat in a prototype. That's for later development.

Hope you like the photos.

Eric

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Bagatelle is the one I like most. Beautiful boat!
    It is a pity that Eric site has so few photos available.
    Eric, why not a gallery in your site?

I hope you can find someone interested in building the Globetrotter. That is also a great design.

Congratulations and thanks for being around.:cool:

Ps. your reputation is great, but the points you have in this forum are not according to that.
    (I have to spread my...blablabla)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.

7. yipster

yipster designer

maybe not on the cherubine classic but have to say i like "maintenance and construction in fiberglassthe with a look of wood"

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.