Back Deck rebuild

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Daniel Aguilar, May 22, 2019.

1. Daniel Aguilar

Daniel Aguilar Junior Member

So for those whom have not read or seen my other post I am a proud owner of a 1973 28' FiberForm express cruiser AKA Lady Shark. Any who I need to do some work to her before she hits the water but not much hoping. The back deck need repairs or replace whatever the case may be, I have been to my local marinas to get a price quote and HELL NO simply I know without a doubt this job could be done in a whole day or half without spending 10k plus. I am not sure where to start be very excited so with out further ado does anyone have any experience doing a job like that?

Attached Files:

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

From what I see:

Carpet pulled away from inside facia panels. Remove, replace and re-carpet three panels

Deck with hatches sagging several inches. Remove rotten deck. Remove and replace rotten deck frames and support system. Make large hatches. Paint underside and carpet topside.

Two weeks and ten G would be my bid.

3. Daniel Aguilar

Thanks for the tip more pictures coming soon

4. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Pics of inside the engine compartment would be helpful.

With that bad of deck, I wonder how far forward the rot extends. Are the stringers and transom effected? If so will the engine need to be pulled?

5. Daniel Aguilar

I think the rest of its in good shape I think its just the Deck its self but I will post some pictures of the inside

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Famous last words.

Normally a rotten deck is just the tip of the iceberg.

Poke around and see what you find.

Daniel Aguilar likes this.
  7. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Ondarvr's right. Keep digging. I restored a Silverton 25 Sportster. Exactly the same year as your Fiberform, 1973. I've kept a detailed spreadsheet that captures almost all of my material expenses over the years. Just the build materials for this boat cost $21,698.82. This doesn't include any expenses relating to the electrical system, the propulsion system or electronics. Add those in and the cost for materials goes to $39,892.00. I know this because I'm a sick compulsive person who loves his old boat and used to do auditing work so for some strange reason I was driven to keep track of my expenses. I also like to write run-on sentences. o_O Keep poking around and don't be in a hurry to fix anything. Rot is like cancer, it can spread all over, especially in 45 year old boats like ours. I'm not saying you shouldn't fix it, just know what you're getting into and whether it's worth the effort to you.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  8. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I’d like to film the rebuild, let me know what day or afternoon you’re going to do that, and I’ll bring some beer and cheerleaders!

9. Daniel Aguilar

I have not been able to get to it I have been busy with doctors and trying things to make a income to stay afloat but hopefully I will be able to this Saturday or I might just end up selling it but hope it will not come to that

10. Daniel Aguilar

update on pictures but not bad got a quote 3,700 and here is what it looks like before it gets done :)

Attached Files:

11. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Looks better than I feared; but looks can be deceiving. At least there are no mushrooms growing. And the stringers are not incorporated into the deck support structure.

Next test is the ice pick.

12. Daniel Aguilar

There is one soft spot on the stinger which is not to big melon sizes and upon locating it I check the back side and it’s still pretty solid.

13. Daniel Aguilar

Does anyone have an idea on the what kind of engines those are? Hp specs what they are good for?

14. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I would add pulling both engines and possibly the drivetrains too.
    The wiring and plumbing will all be suspect, and then the engines themselves?
    Floor, stringers, bulkheads, transom all likely to need repairs at best, or full replacement.
    10G would be getting off very lightly, one day of work won’t even get the demolition/removal done.

15. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I would add pulling both engines and possibly the drivetrains too.
    The wiring and plumbing will all be suspect, and then the engines themselves?
    Floor, stringers, bulkheads, transom all likely to need repairs at best, or full replacement.
    10G would be getting off very lightly, one day of work won’t even get the demolition/removal done.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.