B series propeller 3d generation

Discussion in 'Props' started by MliC, Apr 3, 2012.

1. MliC

MliC Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

I found this forum very useful, so I can hope that members can give me some idea about this little problem I am having [of course due to my lack of knowledge and experience as a student :) ]

I can draw a propeller in tradition 2d CAD drawing from B series. But it is a flat representation only. I mean the expanded view tells us about the chord length only, developed view shows how the propeller blade would look in a flat form and the projected view is merely a projection.

How can I generate a 3d model of the B series?:?: The chord length, maximum thickness, skew all point to a representation of a flat surface (Correct me please if I'm wrong :confused:), which data are used to figure out how the blades would look in real three dimensional form.

I hope the members will soon be showing me the right way:)

2. johneck

johneck Senior Member

In order to compute the 3D shape you need both the radial geometry; pitch, chord, rake, skew and the section offsets. The radial geometry provides the location and orientation of the helix and the offsets provide the section shape along the helix.

I think that if you look in "Principals of Naval Architecture" or Marine Propellers and Propulsion" or such you will find methods to compute the xyz coordinates for the blades.

2 people like this.
  3. MliC

MliC Junior Member

Thanks a lot johneck :D

Too much data from the B series table made me confused and you opened up my eyes.

After your suggestion, I grabbed "The Wageningen Propeller Series" by G.Kuiper and it all became clearer.

Thanks again :)

Off Topic: How do they pronounce Wageningen? Way-Je-ning-en or Way-Ge-nin-Jen or Way-Ge-ning-Gen

4. johneck

johneck Senior Member

Maybe someone from the Netherlands can comment, but I have always pronounced it Wag-en-ing-en, pretty much just as it is spelled.

Good Luck and have fun.

5. ldigas

ldigas Senior Member

Maybe, but to what purpose. Different people pronounce the same names differently, depending on their native language, accents, dialects, personal preferences etc. There is no right or wrong.

From what little I've heard it mentioned, the dutch pronounce it similarly to how it's written, with that (hot-potato-in-the-mouth) touch :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.