GlenL-14 should I?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by markh, Oct 7, 2006.

1. markh

markh New Member

Hello All

I am new to the sport of sailing. Therefore I need a boat to learn on. I purchased the plans to the GlenL-14

When I recieved the plans I right away went into the "How can I do this different" mode. Since the boat is an open framework with plywood that is encapsulated on the outside with fibreglass, what happens as I am sailing and I will be capsizing it? I know that it will happen, it is a fact of life, but I do not mind since I am an excellent swimmer and have no fear of the water. the only thing that bothers me is that I will be bailing out alot of water. I am assuming that the boat will float, but will probably be low in the water.

So my 64,000$ question is, could I use the plans for the lines and essentially build a plug and do away with the frame and substitute foam and fibreglass instead?

How thick to lay the hull up? What weight cloth to use?

Opinions anyone?

Skill level is not a question, I have shop space and tools to drool over.
    I am a trim carpenter by trade so I have no fear at building and doing things.

thank you

Mark

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Mark, I found this about a guy who restored a 14. Says he added flotation and got lot's of help from Glen-l:
    Restoring the Glen-L 14 sailboat pic665a
    Address:http://glen-l.com/picboards/picboard13/pic665a.html Changed:3:45 PM on Tuesday, November 29, 2005
    In most dinghies this size flotation is in side tanks under the side decks but I would get a recommendation from the plans providers. You can probably install self -bailers which are little venturi like devices that you open under sail to drain water(see http://www.apsltd.com ); again
    get recommendations from Glen L. Same goes for considering a cockpit sole that is sealed and above the waterline so water automatically drains thru transom scuppers. Go with Glen-L recommendations but try to contact some other owners before starting.
    Welcome to sailing! You can have a lifetime of fun....

--------
    I've thought about this a bit and I wouldn't
    think it would be a good idea to redo the boat as a glass boat. You're talking about an immense about of plug work and finishing and if you build just the male plug and layup a hull on that you'll have ton's of finish work again.You would need the designer to go over the scantlings for a glass boat-not just guess at it. If you buld it with good quality wood + epoxy & epoxy/glass you'll have an excellent quality little boat. When you're inexperienced at sailing/sailboat design I wouldn't recommend deviating a lot from the proven plans UNLESS you get the assistance of the original designer or someone equally as qualified.

-------------------
    Here's a site that lists hundreds of plans and speaks well of Glen-l:
    Great Encouragement to Boatwrights: Boatbuilding Plans and Kits
    Address:http://coastweather.com/html/bbfile3.html Changed:12:03 AM on Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2006
  3. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Very good advice Doug.

Glen-L boats has designs that are for one time fiberglass construction. It would be better to get plans for a fiberglass version rather than try to convert a wood design to glass. You might as well start from a clean sheet of paper.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The Glen-L 14 is a nice little boat, you don't want to change it, substantially from the plans, though. There are a number of reasons why not to do this, but it boils down to the weights of the substituted materials and the engineering involved to get the new structure to absorb the loads it will have to tolerate.

This boat doesn't have a self bailing cockpit, but a couple of self bailing scuppers could be installed (I think they are covered in the plans), on either side of the keel, just aft of the centerboard case. This means you could begin to sail her after a capsize and the scuppers would eventually remove the water from the boat. She's quite a stable little craft so you'd have to screw up pretty bad to knock her over.

Since this will be your first boat build, do yourself a favor and build her as the plans suggest. It's a ply over frame boat and very simple to build. Trust me, you don't want to do all the sanding and messing with goo, required in building a plug and other necessities of 'glass construction. You can customize her with all sorts of neat features, which will show their need as your sailing skills develop.

Floatation in this boat would be under the side decks, in the bow and possibly in the stern, if you wanted a little aft deck. She'll float when swamped, but not very high without the floatation.

For a starter boat, this is a good choice, get building. Wait until you have some experience before you start thinking about major revisions to her structure, she has a fair amount of engineering involved in her, so it's not as simple a task as it might appear.

We'll expect pictures of her soon . . . Good Luck

5. markh

markh New Member

Thank you

I would like to thank all of you for your opinions, I will go ahead and build the boat strictly according to the plans. will post pictures when I finally have something to show

mark

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Strictly adhering to the plans is just about imposable for most back yard builders. It's okay to change things, but until you gain some sailing and building experience, leave the structural stuff be and add items that may make the outings more enjoyable for you. A built in cooler for your beer maybe (a prerequisite on all my boats), stowage lockers, etc. As soon as you sail her, you'll have new ideas and plans for her, it's an on going process. In fact, it's a terminal illness, once infected, you'll have it for the rest of your life, with the only cure to build, most many times, before we die. I'm in my 50's and have built several boats for myself and countless more for others. We'll still want to see pictures . . .

7. Seafra

Seafra Sailing Nerd

Mark,

Perhaps GlenL's 11' Feather would suit your purposes more. It seems to be more along the lines of what you're looking for- GlenL may have recommendations about whether it can be lengthened or not- and may let you swap plans instead having to buy a whole new set of plans.

Feather 11

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.