Awlgrip problems?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Smarten, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Not trying to be a jerk... But I honestly though ohio was in canada.

Arizona is a good place to paint!! That where the Erps live.

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

No paint can ever be the same, thats why we BATCH the paint, say you get 4x4 lt cans, to do a hull, then you mix all of the cans, if you have old "same colours' lying around you BATCH these too
    if you order Oyster one day and then again 6 months later, you will never get amatch particularly in small lots, of course if you order a 1000 cans you will because the tints even out
    you always batch more than you need, (without the hardener of course:))
    so that when you need respray you have a match
    i swopped to Interspay in is the best urathane I have ever used, 6 years in hot QLD sun and still as shiny as the day it was applied, see my gallery
    No chalking as hard as hell Trouble is you can not cut or polish it reallly
    Does thsi match(no pun) your problem do you think?

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Earps!!

4. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Thanks everybody.
    Understand the solvent base concept. Thanks Jim

5. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

While I'm not a paint supplier, I do supply gel coat and what Poida and lazyjack said is accurate. You almost never get an exact match on any color, whether it's paint, gel coat, carpet, or tile, etc. If you have ever looked at an automotive color chart from the factory, it will have one paint code but several different shades of that color and white can have the most shades, you then find the shade that matches the car you are fixing. They then give you a formula that will help tint it to the color of that car. While the color is supposed to be the same, it can vary from plant to plant or with the whay it is sprayed.

Each pigment used in paint can vary from batch to batch, plus all of the other ingrediants can vary in color. Before it's finished the color is checked on a computer to see how close it is to the standard, it can be off slightly and still pass because there is a window of acceptability, it will almost never be exact. I don't say this to defend the paint supplier, just to explain the problem.

There are just so many things that can influence the color of paint that it can be almost impossible to determine who's at fault without a great deal of investigation.

Even the same color can look different on the hull and deck, so if it is off a little it can magnify the effect.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.