transom replacement

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by ballaratbrat, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ballaratbrat

ballaratbrat Junior Member

gday, i read a lot of posts on this site and decided to join up now that i have taken on someone elses unfinished project ,im sure you guys will be able to help me out where possable, the boat ive just got is a 4.8meter haines hunter 1/2cab, an old freind had a boat years back the same as this and it was the best boat all round that i have ever been in (for its size )
    so i realy wont to fix it up .The problem is the last owner cut out tramson from the outside ,ive not been able to find any threads about doing it this way.
    (probly cos its the rong way lol)

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you're referring to replacing the transom core then this is one way to do it and usually easier then removing the inside.

3. ballaratbrat

the guy i got it off he removed the core/ply ,glass inside and out ..he cut out the lot

4. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

No problem as par says this is one way to do it I have the 16 ft version of this boat in Noosa ..but in the end there will be some crawling under the engine splash well. Cut two peices of 22mm ply to the right size and push one into the hole about 30mm to the outer face from the original transome outer face ..get it all square and fibre glass around on the inside ( crawl) not sure how you are going with the floor you may need to take about 300 mm of that up....then with the next ply sheet about 6mm smaller put oversize sheeet of 500g fibre glass over the second sheet with overhang of fibre glass and push it into the hole with the glass wet . Screw around the edges and centre to pull the two together (most important ).. then glass the egdes of the overlap glass into place. Now glass over the outside of new transom with two layers of 500g ..sand and fill and spray ....then sort out inside glassing over the inside of the transom . then sort the floor out giving support to the transom.....easy .forgot to say ..clean up the area where the new glass and old meet with an angle grinder and wipe with acetone to soften before you glass it in ....you may loose a few mm in length doing it this way.

5. ballaratbrat

thx for that pistnbroke, yer i guna have to cut out some floor as i wont be able to get glass in there, i havent worked out how add atachments yet ,but i have put some pic in my galary for you all to laugh at as i stuff this all up lol

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.