AwlGrip & HVLP

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by thistler, May 1, 2009.

1. thistler

thistler New Member

I'm preparing to shoot AwlGrip for the first time. I'm a moderately-experienced amateur with the paint gun, having shot miles of machinery, tractors, trailers, and even a few hot rods (with help from a pro). I have read all of the AwlGrip literature (more than once), and am fairly confident on the process, but I do have some questions pertaining to gun configuration.

I have both siphon-fed and gravity-fed HVLP guns, both rated around 11 CFM @ 30 PSI. The siphon-fed gun (cup hangs from gun) has a 1.9mm tip, whereas the gravity-fed guns (cup on top of gun) have 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8 mm tips. I have a lot of experience with the siphon-fed gun, but am not completely thrilled with it. I just posted about my troubles with that gun in another thread. I have no experience with the gravity fed guns.

I'll be spraying both 545 primer and Awlgrip topcoat with the standard converters and reducers in a climate-controlled garage. I'll be doing some practice on scrap material before I shoot the boat, but want to get some solid advice on gun configuration before I start randomly trying things on my own.

I am guessing that mixed to the standard 1:1:1/2 ratio, the 545 primer is fairly thin, and probably only requires a 1.3 mm nozzle, even with a gravity-fed HVLP gun. The Awlgrip literature calls out several different guns and recommended nozzle sizes, but it seems they are ALL pressure pot-fed systems. I do wonder why.

Has anyone here sprayed 545 or Awlgrip topcoat using an HVLP system without a pressure pot? Did you use a siphon-fed or gravity-fed HVLP gun? What tip size worked best for you, and do you have any recommendations for getting the gun dialed in quickly?

Again, I have read the Awlgrip literature carefully, and understand mix ratios, spray technique, and health risks fairly well / not looking for a lecture on why amateurs shouldn't shoot Awlgrip / just want some helpful advice to save some time with my own experimentaiton.

Thank you.

2. thistler

thistler New Member

Follow-up:

Shot the 545 primer tonight. Had some initial problems with fish eyes / cratering on the first coat, and initially thought I may have some type of contamination problem with the new gun. I eventually realized the problem was too much reducer (I had followed the 1:1:1/2 ratio specified in the manual), and mixed up a new batch with no reducer, which sprayed just fine. Then I added about 1/3 the recommended reducer, for a 1:1:1/6 final mix, and it shot beautifully.

The next hurtle, after sanding, will the shooting some top coat!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.