Auxillary pontoons for old houseboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MarkIFC, Sep 9, 2007.

1. MarkIFC

MarkIFC Junior Member

The old houseboat I bought has had extra deck space added to the stern and a swim platform . This caused the stern to sag low. To try to remedy the issue the former owner attached 2 36" X 42" X 12" deep plastic floatation boxes using nylon tie-down straps.
    I want to tryto redo it better. My idea was 2' X 2' X 7' long pontoons made out of plywood and fiberglass tape. I calculated the current floatation boxes are supporting about 400# a piece. I'd want my new pontoons to support upto 800#.
    My question is, what minimum thickness plywood could I use? I want it to be as light weight as possible. I'd include baffles or braces. Would 1/4" fir plywood be acceptable.
    Any design recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark mark8076@msn.com

2. MarkIFC

MarkIFC Junior Member

Anyone?

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Well...2x2x7 will displace 1748 lbs each when totally immersed so each will support 874 lbs at half immersion. With 3 frames of 2x2"s and 1x2 framing at the ends supporting the plywood I would use 3/8" ply for the build. I would also glass the entire outside using epoxy and 12 oz glass cloth. This should be pretty darn bulletproof. Each is going to weigh in at about 75-90 lbs so you are in the ballpark weight wise for 50% immersion. For best results...use 9mm BS1088 marine ply...it will last a lot longer.

Steve

PS: It usually takes 18-48 hours to start getting replys to posts

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.