Autopilot System for Sailboat

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by taobsu, Aug 9, 2005.

1. taobsu

taobsu Junior Member

I don't know much about sailboat. Here is one question: Is there any cheap autopilot system exist for sailboat? And how it setup with existed mechanical steering and sail manning system (not hydraulic ). I am talking about for island hooping in inland lake, not those for open water offshore cruising.

The autopilot for power vessel is relatively easy to archieve. On the other hand for such system work on sailboat, I guess it has to measure the factors such as ever-changing wind speed, direction, as well as position (GPS) and chart information.

I can think of such system exist for big/super yacht, and they can be very expensive. What I want to know is that if there is any reasonablly priced autopilot system for mid/small size yacht, especially for catamaran in 40'~50'.

I am dreaming to have such a cheap autopilot system which can guide me to marina/dock based on the GPS coordinates I entered.

2. Rabadak

Rabadak New Member

Just seach in Google

Just give a look in google and/or YouTube. You will be amazing with what are is done about. Please search YouTube channel: Rabadakpilot.
    Best regards from Portugal

3. yOyOeK1

yOyOeK1 Junior Member

Also it's autopilot / IoT without internet :) phone based orientated. So If you have phone with android you have almost all you need.

4. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Auto-pilots aren't cheap and they only steer a course, they won't take you to marinas nor sail the boat for you.

5. Janis_59

Janis_59 Junior Member

I bought by boat with rather old autopilot namely Autohelm ST1000. It had "some kind of defect". As electronicist I had no afraid thus soon realized the defect was just bad contact in cabling. So I repaired and started to go with it.... until the storm. Firstly, at the storm this device sharply alters the shaking, whilst steered by hand You may slide at the vawe hillside falling only rarely in the cupholes. Probably, that is our sea specifism, but ultrashort waves between 2 seconds and 3 seconds here is just the norm when full free-fall heighth is between 2 and 3 meters between wave foot and head, or at bad luck 6 meters. So, after some minutes the output transistors was burned. Already home I re-soldered them and all was highly functional until the next strom. I resoldered them again. Third time I applied more powerful mosfets. Fourth time realized I have to apply the cooler on them, but there is no place for such. Then I bit read how to and construct the bakkelyte plywood windlass. When wind is over some 5 knots it works brilliant, when wind is just zero, then my electronic friend is mighty enough.

6. yOyOeK1

yOyOeK1 Junior Member

nice. resurrecting drive unit :)
    if something oiyshTerminal is currently working on relays :) so it's easy to troubleshot and fix. Automotive 30A relay with socket will do :)
    More explanations on how to set in up on git hub
    Home ยท yOyOeK1/oiyshTerminal Wiki https://github.com/yOyOeK1/oiyshTerminal/wiki
    since last post I added new use cases for you to get more conf table with functionality of the hole system.
    Us full example is GPS Access Point. For your laptop or setting your RMB from opencpn to autopilot :cool:
    Let me know if some one want to give it a try! I'm open for feedback.

also new preview :)

7. seandepagnier

seandepagnier Senior Member

There is pypilot. This has many more features than most autopilots, and it can guide you to the dock from GPS, and I have used it to travel in canals using GPS for example. You will need to supervise it near obstructions obviously.

8. Mholmes3038

Mholmes3038 Junior Member

I dont know if this is dumb question or not but how well does GPS and auto pilot systems work in the ocean? And is it safe to set a auto pilot overnight while you rest on a sailboat?

9. rangebowdrie

rangebowdrie Senior Member

Autopilots on sailboats are "generally" controlled by an apparent wind sensor, similar to using a windvane to steer the boat.
    As such, (depending upon wind/wave,) the boat follows an undulating course-line in the general direction you wish.
    They can be used similar to the autopilot on a power boat where you dial in the course you want, but that requires setting the sails in a careful manner to achieve good trim.
    GPS is not usually part of the operation, the wind/waves dictate "course made good", not some line to a waypoint.
    Getting some sleep with an autopilot that is being operated by an apparent wind sensor is little different from sleeping whilst a windvane steers the boat.

10. seandepagnier

seandepagnier Senior Member

actually, most autopilots basically use a magnetic compass and do not require a wind sensor at all.

more people steer to a gps course than apparent wind, but either mode can be used. With boat speed known the autopilot can compute true wind, which can be more useful downwind in fast boats. This requires gyros, wind sensors, and boat speed from either a water speed sensor or gps.