Automatic Boat Motor Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sultan, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Sultan

Sultan New Member

Hello guys,
    I am working on a university robotic project which requires a boat of size around 0.7x0.5x0.2m
    It's a small boat but I need a motor which works without the presence of a human, like a robot.

Was checking at outboard motors but they need manual input

Where should I find motors like that? Any suggestions?

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

RC (radio control) model boats are common. Electric motors, controllers, and RC receivers that translate instructions to the motor and the steering mechanism is not only common but cheap. For example: Wal Mart, one of our huge merchandise stores, sells a complete, ready to run, RC boat for under $20. Serious RC modelers use far better quality parts and can have a significant amount invested in their boats, hundreds, even thousands of dollars as a matter of fact. In either case, the concept is the same.

There are many suppliers of parts for those hobby projects. One that you might explore, just to get an idea of the kind of parts you would need is; TowerHobbies .com. There are surely suppliers nearer to you than the one mentioned from here in the U.S. You may even have well stocked hobby shops in Dubai.

Good luck with your project.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.