A design student's shopping list

Discussion in 'Education' started by seanconnett, Aug 24, 2003.

1. seanconnett

seanconnett Junior Member

Here is the senario:
    You are once again a new student who is learning yacht design and drafting. All you own is a #2 pencil and maybe a ruler.

With the hindsight that many of you now have, what would be the first things that you would buy. What are the "must haves" and what are the "it's really nice to have"? I ask you to keep in mind that the student is, though not starving, of humble means.

v/r
    Sean

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

1- Sharpener for #2 pencil.
    2-Compass
    3-Scale rule
    4-Two squares 60/30 and 45
    5-Battens
    6-Lead ducks or small nails
    7-Calculator
    8-Eraser
    9-Brain
    10-Ship's curve

3. seanconnett

I've been trying to procure item number 9 for some time now but I can't seem to find one that fits. If you really think that I need it though, I will double my efforts.:p

Thanks for the help.

v/r
    Sean

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have one with little use you can have.:rolleyes:

5. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

As a former student... my best tool I bought was a computer... but presumably if you have one since you are reading this.
    I've used a manual drawing board once or twice in the last 7 years. I've seen ducks and ships curves and even used them once. The only time I see manually done drawings is for refit/modifications to older existing vessels and then I usually lift the lines I need for the cad file and go from there.
    The basic principles all apply but I think some here place too much emphasis on the practicality of "drawing".

Brett

6. seanconnett

The practicality of "drawing"

I appreciate your response Brett. As is apparent, I do have a computer already and I have to tell you, I really enjoy looking at the designs that have done with a CAD program. I am certain that the use of technology has greatly enhanced the design process and with time I look forward to learning how to use that technology and put it to use.

I also have great admiration for hand drawn lines. The first time that I saw a set of plans, in a small boatyard in Hamptons Bays, NY, I was amazed. I was in awe. Someone drew that, and there in the shop was the same boat being built. The two were pieces of art in my eyes. Perhaps I am being too "romantic" (something my wife has ever accused my of) but it is how I see it.

I am in the Coast Guard. I was trained to be a navigator, using all of the modern equipment that is available. I love it! Chart Plotters, GPS, radar, etc... I would hardly go to sea without these modern navigation tools but I also get a kick out of celestial navigation. To see a pinwheel fix on a plotting sheet, using three or four celestial bodies is amazing. I am glad that I learned how to do that. I think that I will enjoy learning how to draw boat lines by hand for the same reasons.

I hope that both forms can be a part of my designing future.

Finally, if I loose power, I can either take out the sextant and tell you where I am, or I can pick up my square and pencil and finish that little boat I've been working on.

v/r
    Sean

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think there is enormous practicality in drawing. Many designers today, who are trained to work in the computer only, learn within the limits of a program. A batten will take any curve I want. Another advantage, if you design for wood like I mainly do, is that a batten naturally takes the progressive curve of the planking. One of the early lessons that left a strong impression, was that if I didn't try to force a piece of wood too hard, it will take a graceful curve. My ability to draw allow me to go to a boat with a pad and pencil, and make a design right there. I think, also, that someone who can't draw can't loft either. For displacement, CF and all other calculations, a computer is invaluable.

8. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I think I read in one of your earlier posts, Sean, that you are doing the Westlawn course...?

I'm just about to complete lesson 22 - and as such, will have finished module 2 - or 1/2 way through the course.

Almost all my work so far has been done by hand - and like Gonzo, I think it's VERY important to learn how to design a boat by hand...not simply because drawing is an art, but because it's all too easy to fall into the trap of making a design fit with your computer program, rather than the other way around.
    My computer skills aren't what they could be either, so whilst I've duplicated a number of my lesson designs by CAD, they haven't been up to a standard that I would regard as acceptable to submit to the school. I intend to remedy that to some extent before embarking on Module 3....from here on in, I hope to submit the majority (if not all) of my drawings electronically. If you plan on using your 'degree' professionally, then you'll need to master design by CAD.

As for the list of stuff you'll need, I'd add:

1. Planimeter (get one 2nd hand, cause once you go to CAD, you'll never use it again)

2. a decent drawing surface

3. one of those squares where you can change the angle

oh - and number 9, may be desirable - but obviously not a necessity, cause I've never had one!!:D

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I listed number nine as an option not a necessity.

10. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

As I said.. the basic principles still apply hence 2d cad is similar to a drawing board (loosely). Leave the 3D till 2d is mastered.

My point is illustrated by the fact that very few design offices even have drawing boards these day. The flexibility of CAD is far greater and more powerfull.

Gonzo - I think you may be calling "Drawing" what I call "sketching"

Anyway, I have to now go and do some "sketching" at a site down the road ... :) Has anybody seen my tape measure, pad and pencil?
    Brett

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think that manual drawing or sketching has less restirictions than CAD if you are adept. In my opinion it helps you see thr limitations of the program you are using. In other words, if all you knew were computer design programs, it would make it seem as if only what they offered was possible in design. On the other hand, displacement calculations by hand can bore you out of boat design; try it if you don't believe me;)

12. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

Computers are the way to go in either case. Presentation of manual drawings to a client is simply not acceptable anymore. Maybe there are some in the industry that still stick to the old ways but not many. In fact one of my niche markets is to provide computer power to the "Old salts" of the industry to keep them competitive.

Brett

13. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Personally, I don't think it should be possible to become a qualified designer unless you can prove profficiency in designing without CAD. Drawing by hand gives a feel for a design that simply can't be had using a computer, but more to the point it ensures that the person producing the boat has some understanding of the physics / mathematics that are involved. Having a program spit out a whole bunch of numbers is of no benefit if the designer doesn't understand how they were produced.

I don't believe this to be true. For larger scale projects perhaps, but for smaller vessels, I think there will always be a niche for those who prefer to design by hand. A well drawn set of plans are a work of art - there will (hopefully) always be those who appreciate them.

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think there are few poeple who can make a hand drawn presentation good enough to offer a client. Drafting is a dying art. I enjoy looking at designs by marine architects like Herreshoff, Uffa Fox, Colin Archer, Frers and many others that made them into a beautiful thing and not just correct.

15. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

Geez, I opened a can of worms here :).

Will,
    I am a qualified NA etc etc (Got the bit of paper from AMC Launceston). Therefor I understand that it imperative to understand the theory to appreciate the inner workings of any program one might use.
    My work consists 99% boats 20-65 ft and sometimes up to 100'. All is cad drawn and detailed. (This is one place where size doesn't matter - lol:))

Gonzo,
    I too can appreciate the fine examples of yesterday. I have a large framed lines/GA of a 120' schooner on my office wall. It cost me a small fortune. (Drawing is dated 1908)

Not that I'm blowing my own trumpet or trying to shove my opinion down anyone's throat. Just commenting on my own experiences...

Brett

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.