Anyone Know Where To Get A Long Shaft?????

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by toocanshan81, Apr 13, 2009.

1. toocanshan81

toocanshan81 Junior Member

I Have The Opertunity To Buy A Long Mid Section To Replace My X-long Mid Section. The Only Prob. Is It Does Not Come With The Drive Shaft. And How Hard Is It To Do These Mods Yourself?? Thanks For Any Feed Back And Happy Boatin. Toocan

2. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

What kind of motor???

3. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Changing the length of an OB is no small chore and requires, in addition to power head removal, the complete disasembly of the lower unit..with quite a few mfrs 'special tools' and some skill/experience. It can really be a disaster in the making if the motor is older and seen salt water use.

Some perspective, perhaps: I have been repariing and rebuilding OBs for over 30 years now (mostly Johnson/Evinrude, Mercury/Mariner and Yamaha) and I have turned many folks away that wanted the lower shaft length changed; I won't touch that job except rarely in cases where its a motor I'm building up out of 'surplus' parts for my own project.

My advice: Look for another engine with the correct lower length and a blown power head..swap 'em.

4. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

It all depends on the motor. Merc/Mariner use a shaft extention, so going from say a 30" down to a 20" is no problem, or 20' to a 30". I know guys who have 25" mercs on rude mids. They had to have the shaft cut and slined to fit into the rude V8 motor.

toocan go here and join, you will find what you need. www.screamandfly.com