Auto Propane Conversion

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Jim Bridges, Apr 7, 2012.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

You should forget about old technlogy of turning LPG CNG into a gas to run a motor it is inefficient.Injection of the gas as a liquid is much better.You can even convert and use the present petrol EFI sustems and engine management systems.And run many types and grades of fuel,.just by pressing a button.The is a lot of experimentation done.

www.fordforums.com/f543/liquid-gas-injection

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Propane puts out about 84k BTU, LNG about 75k BTU, gasoline about 114k BTU. Propane sinks, which is not good in a boat where there's nowhere for air to go but up.
    LNG rises but has poor BTU yield.
    So many have spent thousands to convert their gas engine to diesel only to continue to use LPG for cooking (thereby partially defeating the purpose of the engine swap which is often cited as a way to prevent an explosion aboard the boat).
    LNG is an excellent choice for cooking and the cost isn't as big a deal as cooking uses very little fuel compared to engines.

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

It is easier to have a safe boat with Liquid-Gas-Injection than petrol as you can have a sealed fuel and motor system.
    Install motor in a separate compartment at the rear which is drained and ventilated overboard and have the same for the fuel cell.Booster fuel pump and all fuel related components EFI,Engine Management System are in the rear compartment.To refuel on land just replace fuel cell it`s clean and easy.

Attached Files:

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ille take that bet.

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

These are quite bold statements.
    The only reasons to use the EFI is that it is already there and the unrestricted intake allows for a higher engine output at higher rpm. If the target engine has a carb there is no reason whatsoever to install an expensive injection system.

The GM V-8 blocks were very popular for propane conversion in Holland. The fuel consumption increased approx. 10%, quite in line with the lower caloric value of butane/propane. The conversion package is only a pressure regulator, two electric fuel valves and some plumbing.

The link supplied end in a "page not found" error.

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Anyone wanting a genuine CNG engine for their larger boat contact ME.

I have a Detroit Diesel Seres 50 (about the same size and power as a 6 -71 but a bit lighter) that can be had for $1500.

It was removed from a transit bus , and I purchased it to obtain the bell housing and starter for my bus camper RV with an engine swop..

The existing bell housing is SAE #1 the same as most 6-71 and engines of 150-300hp.

The engine seems identical to the ser; 50 diesel, just different injectors for the CNG.

USA 863-674-0790. Located in Arcadia FL.

FF

7. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

If you Google liquid-gas-injection you will find a lot of bold statements by those people paving the way in this technology,and many are big players in the field.
    I don`t think many would go back to carbs in new productions by choice.
    My grandchildren handle all the technology in the motor trade effortlessly
    and cope well with what is on offer,they even do research easily to achieve what they want to do.Mind you I have to put them right often.

8. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

CNG is Compressed Natural Gas, and is in a gaseous state. It is stored at ambient temperature with pressure of 200–248 bar/2900–3600 psi.

LNG is Liquid Natural Gas, and is in a liquid state. It is stored in cryogenic tanks, temperature approximately −162 °C (−260 °F), maximum pressure around 25 kPa/3.6 psi, with vapor over the liquid. If LNG is not used consumed than it is vaporizing then either external cooling is required or the excess vapor has to burned.

LPG is Liquid Petroleum Gas, and is in a liquid state. It is stored at ambient temperature, usually in metal tanks, with vapor over the liquid.

9. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Propane I think is the best option, much lower pressure storage in liquid state (about 100 psi) and only about 15 percent less energy per gallon than gasoline. It is also relatively inexpensive and common in USA, esp. in areas were people go camping, use gas BBQ, etc.

You can recover the lost power if you rebuild the engine and optimize it for the properties of propane. IT has an octane rating of about 116 (as high as racing fuel), so you can run 12:1 or even higher compression ratio (increases power and efficiency without getting knock or ping). If you do other improvements such as a higher lift cam shaft (I would not go longer duration), advance the spark timing, open up intake and exhaust ports, and put on a header or more efficient exhaust systems you can easily make up the lost power output. But it means if you want to also run gasoline you have to run premium fuel with costly octane boosters (but it can be kept duel fuel if you want).

The fuel injection systems can be adapted for propane, though more costly than converting a carburated engine. Fuel injection results in better mixture control and more efficiency (higher maximum power out put also possible). I have converted our generator engine to run on propane without problems. I had to since the shitty methanol fuel blends they sell us has ruined two carburetors on my generator (ruined two lawn mower carbs as well, corrosion). the methanol blend also runs like crap on older engines and also delivers less power and economy (ethanol only has about have the amount of BTU per gal as gasoline). I want to convert my car as well, but waiting to do a complete rebuild as noted above.

I have have propane delivered to my home 500 gal tank for about $1.89/gallon, now all I need is some kind of pump or other means to refill my own propane tanks I can use in my BBQ, and in my lawn mower, and I can use the same standard tanks in my car or boat. Also saves hwy taxes as a bonus, but that is prohibited for road vehicles in most states (same as using farm delivered Diesel fuel in your road vehicles). If I convert all of our cars to run on propane it will save our family about $4000 a year in fuel costs. Each car conversion would cost about $3000 each in parts, including the rebuild costs, and I have three cars to convert. It would take about 2-3 years to recover the costs, plus I would never have to go to a gas station again (except when on a road trip).

Propane also puts out about 15-20 percent less carbon for the same amount of fuel burned if that is an important goal for you. It burns cleaner as well, much lower emissions, and it tends to leave the engine cleaner so there is less major maintenance required on converted engines (no need to periodically clean out the carburator or fuel injectors/intake system, less carbon build-up, less contamination of the motor oil, etc.).

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ive just been to the LPG station and filled our cooking gas bottle at 11.50 baht per liter.

30 baht to the US dollar so 400 baht was 13+ dollars in total.

Petrol is over 42 baht,-- 95 octane.

I cant remember when I last filled that bottle could be 2 years.

11. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Let`s move a bit further into the future.Hydrogen can be liquified and there is plenty of that around.It costs a lot of energy to produce but a home DIY New-Clear- home- generator (about the size of your frig) would get you cheap electricity for the job.They show you how to make liquid Hydrogen on youtube.

1 person likes this.
  12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh --we have all seen that, you pass electricity through water and get what---

It needs massive amounts of power.

Any way never mind-- you first and tell us how you get on!!

13. Petros

Petros Senior Member

liquid H2 is way too dangerous and unstable for home use, under way too much pressure. A better way to store H2 is in hydride fuel cells. A hydride compound absorbs high ammounts of H2 and holds it there stable until you either run an electric charge through it or heat it. Far safer and easy to handle, though not as compact as H2 in liquid state, much more manageable.

14. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Your numbers are hugely flawed.

Do your research.

15. Mick@itc

Mick@itc Junior Member

Thanks for this info...

Thought this might be handy...
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Energy_density.svg

Mick

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.