Auto Diesel (Yeah, again, but...)

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Filmdaddy, Jul 21, 2005.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Auto Diesel (yeah,again,but...

Actually it would not fit....A chain saw would soon put a two inch wide slot for the pivotal drive to move up and down,perfecting a near perfect boat.

2. VinceS

VinceS Junior Member

Something I haven't really seen discussed is load vs RPM. you can run an engine at 2500rpm or you can run an engine at 2500rpm with as much load as you can possibly muster.

That said, I am a big fan of going off the beaten track and beating your own. Generator engines for instance, should make killer boat engines. Large earth moving trucks etc. These things are designed for high load applications.

I am a very big fan of "Think BIG" - in my other thread on these forums I have asked for feedback on a hull design. There is a lot of **** being flung around (as with this thread) and I have to say, I found your response to this **** inspiring. I will take the advice to heart, but I will not let it stop me. Thankyou.

A family member has just had a 2.8l nissan desiel engine installed in a 13m displacement boat. This engine produces about 80HP and was installed for $2500. It is important to note that the engine was a recent model, used engine with low milage which was marinised and installed for a total cost of $2500. Do you have a 2nd hand marine engine that can compete in that price bracket? That cost includes all labour and all parts. I guess it depends who you talk to?

Good luck with your project - Dont let jockeys tell you how to race, its the horse that does the work anyway! I will try to get some photos of the install of the 2.8 engine.

Vince

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I agree with your load v RPM idea.I for one would love to see photos of instalation of Nissin.

4. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Auto Diesels

Filmdaddy,

Yes we do a lot of auto diesel engine installation on boats here. It is "marinized" by throwing away the radiator and running a closed circuit pipe under the hull (below the waterline) to cool the water circulating in the engine block. Cool sea water removes the heat from the pipe, the length of the pipe determines the effectivity of heat transfer. No winter here so no problem.

Radiator, copper or alluminum corrodes quickly in salty enviroment.

We have thousands of boat using this method and its variation and seems to be working. Some even uses the original engine transmission. Even the steering wheel and steering box for the rudder control.

Rx

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In industrialized countries the demands are more stringent. Both the government and customers have higher expectations. There are safety requirements that you don't need to comply with. Also, because labor is more expensive, used and rebuildable engines are relatively cheap and available.

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Marine alternator & starter ? Don't bother, use standard auto kit - just keep inflammable gases out of the engine bay, and keep the bilges dry. Carry replacements.

This will make the boat explode at a single failure, and of course it will be uninsurable.

A diesel is a far better choice , truck engines are both cheap and very reliable.

While a thrust bearing on the prop shaft will be required , this will alow the use of a small truck drive shaft , doing away nicely with the need for engine alighnment , and allowing very soft (quiet & smooth) engine mounts.

Truck trannies are suitable for cont operation .Keel cooling & dry stack , almost free compared to the cost & complexity & service requirememnts of heat exchanger and wet exhaust. If you only need a little engine , get one from a little car , MB ?

FAST FRED

7. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

A sensible designed boat with a gasoline engine would have all of the fuel related components isolated from inside of the boat,drained and vented overboard.As an added saftey measure use marine style alternator and starter motor and any other marine safety components.If you want extra safety use gas detectors and ignition saftey devices.Hey and you can use this saftey program with LPG,CNG,Hydrogen and other very volatile fuels.Diesel is smelly and dirty,like the old Parafin,Kerosene,Oil engines of the past era.

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Diesel is smelly and dirty"

Poor maint , like changing fuel filters and draining the oil in the bilge does stink, as does a poorly maintained engine , injector system , or an overloaded engine.

Otherwise diesel is far less volatile than gas , so should stink less often than gas .

Diesel is also heavier , so a gallon of diesel goes further than one of gasoline.

Gas is fine for day boats , probably not a choice for a ocean cruiser.

FAST FRED

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.