Australian surf boat conversion

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by surf boat man, Sep 24, 2008.

1. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

hi

I almost forgot , my trip report. I went out for four days, then I went interstate for 5 days, thus the delay in getting this out. Some photos and text can be found here. It was a good learning experience and more enjoyable than the text may indicate.

http://www.geocities.com/peterevans_33/four_day_trip.html

regards
    N Peter Evans

2. aldreds

aldreds New Member

How did the project go Surfboat man, I'm looking to undertake a similar project, but with an ocean going capability.
    How did the boat sail? Did it hobie horse a great deal as has been suggested?
    Do you have any up-to-date photos you can share?

3. rayman

rayman Senior Member

is Peter Evans there, Peter, would you have any info/pics anything on Jack Pizzey and his proa "Flight" the guy who owned "About Face" was going to put up stuff but so far nothing has happened. regards ray

4. peterAustralia

Hello Rayman

yes am here. Yes I do have some info on the proa flight. I have a pdf document and about 5 photos. These files were posted by Rob Denney on yahoo group proa_file a couple years back. By chance I saved them on my hard drive and stored them in my proa folder, so your in luck

send me an email off list, and I can email photos back
    peterevans_33 at yahoo dot com dot au

I could put them on my website.. just lack the motivation.

How is boom town Brisbane. was up there couple years back in Yeronga, takes a while to get used to the heat and humidity

5. peterAustralia

6. rayman

rayman Senior Member

Thank you Peter, I heard it was up the Mary river about 12 months ago so went asking around but no luck. I wonder what's happened to it??.In truth I live at Tin Can Bay and think it would be just the shot here in the sandy straits. Regards Ray.

7. aldreds

aldreds New Member

How did you go with your surf boat?
    I bought one recently from Mouya and am now beginning to fit it out.
    Mine is to be predominantly a fishing boat so my mast will be unstayed and the boat cat rigged.
    My outrigger arms are rounded edge aluminum rhs and I am using the hull from a 14ft beach cat as the float.
    I'd love to see some photos of how your boat turned out if you have any.

Best,

Scot.

8. Tiddles

Tiddles New Member

Any update on this? I'm considering grabbing a retired surfboat for casual fishing, ferrying. Wondering how they perform with a small outboard and/or with fewer rowers.

Anybody have any insights?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.