Mast materials

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DogToggler, Apr 2, 2007.

1. DogToggler

DogToggler New Member

I saw an early post by Mikey2 inquiring about aluminum masts for a project he is doing. I am working on a similar project and need to know what other materials masts are commonly made of. I would like to know specifics (i.e. Aluminum T6 6061, not just aluminum), any information on how they are formed (is the material melted or just heated and pushed through a die, or perhaps cut in the case of some composites), and finishing processes that affect material properties such as anodizing.

I believe there are some made of titanium, but I'm not sure which grade. I know there are carbon fiber masts, but again there are a lot of different carbon fibers out there. And what about steel? I thought it was too heavy but then someone told me there are some out there.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.