Australian Cargo Ship design regulation

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by cuongshipdesign, Aug 28, 2007.

1. cuongshipdesign

cuongshipdesign New Member

Hi everybody
    I have to design a 5300DWT cargo ship which will cruise to Australian Ports. I would like to know the differences between Australian Cargo ship design regulations and other countries' regulation. Show me the most special differences.
    Thank u very much!
    Good luck to everybody

2. riggertroy

riggertroy Senior Member

Check with a class society if the vessel is going to be foreign flagged, I suggest Lloyds.
    If the vessel is going to be flagged in Aussie go to the the AMSA website and have a good look around.
    If the vessel is going to be crewed by Aussies and work on soley on the Aussie coast have a talk to the Unions as there are issues there relating to accommodation and such.

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

The "old" regulations is the USLC (Uniform Shipping Laws Code)
    http://www.nmsc.gov.au/uslcode_1.html

The "new" standard is the NSCV (National Standard for Commercial Vessels)
    http://www.nmsc.gov.au/nscv.html

Currently both apply as there has been no official withdrawal of the USLC.
    Electrical work is to AS3000 and others.

Have fun, this will drive you mad trying to get info from the bureaucrats.

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

USL is still the construction standard until one is issued under the new system. I am told that USL will stand as the new code with a few addenda.

It is also accepted to design to certification by one of the major scantling societies and use their certification rather than the government bodies.

DNV LLoyds, ABS, are all accepted standards for construction. SOLAS requirements and accommodation are more specific.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.