outboard problem

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Frosty, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A friend has an outboard that they cant start. It is a 2.5 cylinder with electronic spark plugs and rotating gear box. Its very difficult to pull the cord but with the plugs out its easy but difficult to start ,--- Any Ideas.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Hmm.. one of those ole' two and a half cylinder jobs...long time since Ive seen one .

Collectors items these days... and they can be tough to pull.

Perhaps a bit of exercise on your pulling arm ?

I suggest vigorous pint curling three times per day...... pint curling is known to return vigour to your pull stroke ........

http://[​IMG]

3. midnitmike

midnitmike Senior Member

Is this going to be one of those Ah Ha I got you kind of threads? You know where we all say there's no such thing as a 2.5 cylinder engine and then you show us a picture of one that you built using cardboard and duct tape.

Regardless of that I can only say that while an engine may be easier to roll over with the spark plugs removed it will most certainly be difficult (nay impossible) to start.

Might I suggest starting fluid? As the name implies it's designed to aid in starting...so of like that Fix a Flat stuff is supposed to well... fix a flat.

MM

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

A friend of mine has the same problem.

What's his name?

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If he can start it on one plug he then puts in the other plugs while its running. It goes chuff chuff chuff chuff very loud.

Thing is the compression keeps pulling out the top threads and he needs a rattle gun to get them in.

Once that done it needs the plug wires on, I think he uses a passing tourist to put those on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.