Relevant Degrees

Discussion in 'Education' started by Nick2, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Nick2

Nick2 Junior Member

Hi, I am currently a 2nd year mechanical engineer student and was wondering do I need to do a further degree in something before I can work in large boat,yacht design?

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

I would finish off doing what you are doing, get some sea time to understand better just what you are up against, then do a Westlawn cert study or NA degree in your local uni (if they have one). Understanding engineering and adding the NA side of it will be very beneficial to you, I assume that uou are young. If not, then get straight into the Westlawn business, they are very good.

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

Just finish your degree and apply at the sorts of places where you want to work. Mechanical engineers are in pretty high demand in the ship/boat industry these days.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.