Auckland NZ

Discussion in 'Education' started by JJay, Jun 27, 2008.

1. JJay

JJay New Member

Hi there

I am 39 live in Auckland NZ and am looking at starting a career in the boating industry.
    For the past 22 years I have been banging keys as a computer programmer in a cramped little office, and now I need to move on.
    Can anyone offer me advice, I understand I will need to go to a technical college. Am I to old to be an apprentice ?.
    Should I volunteer at a boatbuilders yard for a few weeks just to make sure I am in the right area.
    My first option is working on the Hull and Deck instead of masts/rigging sails. Apart from that I am not fussy.

All replies appreciated. :)

2. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Hi JJay,

Have a look at UNITEC, they have a modular boat building course. In any case they would be pretty good to talk to about your situation.

Most boat yards would show you around if you asked them for a tour, it would give you an idea of what its all about. most wouldn't turn down free labour if you are offereing... Another place to try might be various racing yacht campaigns - they are often on tight budgets and would like some volunteer labour.

If you haven't already, get some time onboard a yacht (power or sail - what ever turns you on).

I imagine there are opportunites in the bigger yards (ie shipyards) for computer based work if you were that way inclined. - saves going back to square one.

Good luck,
    Rob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.