ATV motor

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Bobby82, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Bobby82

Bobby82 New Member

I want to build a pontoon boat I was wondering if it could be possible to use a motor from a atv something with a cvt type clutch system or Evan snowmobile any thoughts thanks.

2. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Senior Member

Why bother, there is no reason to put a gear drive or a transmission. Get the right size outboard and propeller and be done with it..

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you have time and money and are looking for a hobby to spend them in, probably yes. However, you will have to engineer gears, thrust bearings, clutches, housings, waterproof seals, etc. An outboard is way cheaper and reliable.

4. Bobby82

Bobby82 New Member

I know an outboard would be the easiest thing I was looking for some thing cheap since snowmobile are so cheap to find here and plus Iam not looking for something fast just want to cruise at a good speed with out having to run wide open more less trying to save on fuel. That's why I was thinking something with a cvt transmission would lower the rpms at a higher speed reducing fuel consumption. Iam going to build a 30 35 foot pontoon and not trying to get on plain with it

5. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Senior Member

You can get a 50 hp Merc for $300. By the time you build something that will power the boat you will spend more than that. What you come up with won't be as reliable or work as well, and the variable transmission won't be as efficient as the right prop.

6. Bobby82

Bobby82 New Member

Well I guess I will go that way just was trying to save some money. What do u think about pontoon size if I did 25" steel pontoon over aluminum would I still have good flotation I could do aluminum just steel would be cheaper. I was too going to use 3/32 thick steel I want to hold around 2000lbs after including motor gas etc.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you are trying to save money, engineering something you have little knowledge about is the wrong way about it. A used pontoon is cheaper than the materials to build one. Designing and building your own can be a lot of fun, but you don't do it for the savings.

8. Bobby82

Bobby82 New Member

I don't see how it's cheaper I can weld up a 35'x27" steel pontoon for a little under $500 so if you know where I can get some pontoons under a grand ill get them. And building my own boat has a lot to do with saving money if it didn't I wouldn't be asking questions I would just go buy a new boat and be done. And I do have knowledge in boats as I build them for the coast guard. I just don't know much about the displacement of pontoons and the people at work don't know much about them either as are government wants a boat with a hull instead of pontoons. I just figured some one might have more knowledge about pontoons. Not trying to be a a-hole but getting answers about knowledge an saving money wasnt what I was asking about.

9. slow fred

slow fred Junior Member

10. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Don't forget you need to prep and paint, that will add up.

11. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

I doubt that a snowmobile or ATV motor would produce enough power for a pontoon boat that size. A friend of mine has a 24' with a 110 horse merc outboard that can carry up to 12 people. It can do about 24mph fully loaded. You would also have to have some kind of transmission to have reverse and some type of thrust bearing assembly. While this might be ok in a smaller lighter boat I'm afraid it just wouldn't work for a boat as big as you are talking about If you are determined to do this I would recommend going with a 4 or 6 cylinder motor and tranny from a junk car you would still need some type of thrust bearing assembly and there would be lot of other problems that would have to be worked out.

Good luck with your project.

Dave T :)

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If only interested in displacement speeds, just rig whatever engine you like with a straight shaft and dangle it out the bottom of the boat. The angle will eat a lot of thrust, but again at displacements speeds, who cares. Reverse and neutral would be nice, so a simple tractor gear box could be made to work. You will be fooling with stuff much more easily acquired by getting a used outboard lower leg and bolting a vertical shaft engine on top of it. At least this way you get a gear box, with reverse, plus prop selection choices. Assuming a 3 ton boat, with 40 HP actually hitting the water (slip and other loses), you'll manage about 10 MPH or so.

13. parkland

parkland Senior Member

I don't think the ATV motor will last long, it won't cool very good I don't think, and will be loaded really heavy turning a propeller.

At the very least, maybe you can add some tubing to the oil system, and have some tubing in the water to cool the oil, and hopefully take some of the heat out of the engine that way.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.