Power Tri... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by tallshipskip, Oct 6, 2009.

1. tallshipskip

tallshipskip Captain caveman

Being brave and posting a design I have done of my 46' power tri... I have built a 2.3m scale model of her and performs quite well. Construction of the big one is due to start next month. The boat, both model and full size are to be built out of polycore.
    Just posting a rendering I have done as well as a pic of the model on its first test... and yes its actually moving in the pic.

I am curious to see/hear any feedback or comments on this...
    concorde.jpg

concorde2.jpg

PA060025.JPG

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

From an aesthetic point of view, I think you could flare the hull at the bow above the chine a bit more, to gain some useful space on the deck and to avoid that (imho ugly) concave sheer visible in the first pic.
    Can't say more about hull configuration from these photos and without knowing boat's dimensions and your design goals. How did you determine the length of the amas and their position relative to the main hull?

3. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Looking forward to this tallshipskip.

Very interested in a build using polycore.

I understand it is quite economical.

Pictures would be nice.:D

4. tallshipskip

Thanks..

My main experience has risen from being a crew member on Earthrace for some time during her Australian Tour.
    This design is aimed at maximizing living space while maintaining relatively good performance/economy.
    Thank you Daiquiri for your comments.

Boat fan, yes Polycore is really quite economical to build with, for the full size boat I will be ordering pre-glassed panels at upto 6x2.4m. It is a incredibly easy product to work with, very user friendly with great product support from the guys at polycore.
    www.polycore.com.au

5. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Is there an easy way to convert a build from an original plywood design to Polycore without re-engineering the whole boat ?

6. tallshipskip

Polycore will easily fit any ply design, as it is available in 8x4 sheets the same as ply. It will also speed up the process as it's much easier and more workable. The tri design I have done above is completely based around 'flat panel'

7. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Thanks Tallshipskip.

Are there any charts that compare strength / stiffness of polycore with plywood ?

For example , if you have 1/2 inch ( or 12mm ) plywood , how to select the appropriate Polycore panel ?

Do you build stitch and glue style ?...Sorry , too many questions....

8. tallshipskip

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.