How common is it to have a sauna in a boat? It´s pretty common in Finland...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kalaukko, Dec 27, 2021.

1. kalaukko

kalaukko New Member

Finnish engineer work and welding worker (my dad) executes ~14 meter steel boat...Sauna, 7 sleeping places, toilet, electricity, water heating radiators...

northsteelpiirrustfus.png pellitysmahallaan.png NS41sivustavedessä.png

slideshow:

2. kalaukko

kalaukko New Member

going to buy a photo scanner so i can make samekind of video from first steel boat that my dad made early 90´s

sisusNS41part1.png
    some interior of the NS41

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome to the forum.
    One might find one on a luxury yacht but hot tubs would be more common.
    Please update us as your design takes form.

jehardiman likes this.
  4. Tops

Tops Senior Member

Hello Kalaukko,
    You and Isi did a nice job!
    Do you have to haul out or can you stay in the water all winter?

5. kalaukko

kalaukko New Member

It´s taken out from lake for winter.
    "Marinetraffics" site has seen the boat last time in 2019 on trip from Lappeenranta (Fin) to Viipuri (Rus)
    Might be that the new owner from 2005 has sold it forward, if so hopefully they take good care of it.

6. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

In South Florida, every boat is a sauna for about 8 months out of the year. You're lucky if the AC can keep a small boat cabin less than 100 F. I've been chased below into a 110F cabin by a hail storm! It dumped 6 inches of ice that plugged up all the scuppers and rained dead frozen fish out of the sky. We normally fly south, or sail south, when the water temp drops below 80 F. All the dive shops pretty much shut down. It costs about $70 round trip to Puerto Rico where it is warm.

schakel and hoytedow like this.
  7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

8. Tops

Tops Senior Member

I think the sauna would be nice. Less weight to schlepp around, less maintenance time and energy, and no soaking in chloro- or bromo- type chemistries...all this taking for granted that a sauna would be followed by a dip in a nice lake or some other sort of pleasant rinse-off.

9. kalaukko

kalaukko New Member

We get maybe 1-2 weeks heatwave each year 95F , that 110f sounds like a hell on earth. Maybe the AC is as common to you as the sauna is for us. 3.3 million saunas in our country of 5.5 million inhabitants

hoytedow likes this.
  10. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I helped deliver a decent 50'er to Puerto Rico. It had 11 small Adco compressors on it. Eight for AC, one for icemaker, one for freezer, one for fridge. We usually kept two ACs running - in Decembero_O.

11. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

how about a hot tub that can also function as giant wash tub? Seems its a constant battle to keep stuff clean during any outdoors adventure and even "out on the water" gunk seems to come from somewhere. On board washing machines are small and take up space and you don't need stuff THAT clean. I've been told that if you use https://www.amazon.com/SPORT-WASH-LAUNDRY-DETERGENT-64/dp/B001OPJ5OW or similar very mild solution it will get stuff clean and no rinse really needed.
    How about an all purpose Temp Controlled Room. Sauna, Fridge or Smoker all in one insulated sealed unit, probably a welded stainless easy to clean shell, maybe with window or two. During hot weather you want a big fridge, during cold you might want sauna but don't need fridge, and off course with a smoker you now got something to do with epic amounts of fish when you run across them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.