Atkin "Martha Green" still viable ?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by eggman918, Jan 14, 2011.

1. eggman918

eggman918 Junior Member

Hi ,I am at the point of deciding on which design to build and at this point I really like the looks of the Martha Green.
    we want a boat to fish/dive the coastal waters off of California
    I want a low power boat with the ability to spend 3 or 4 day out at a time.
    low fuel costs and safety are more important than speed to us.
    I am sure that Y'all get tired of this type of question
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Steve.

Attached Files:

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

I'm a fan of Atkin's designs. Look at Tang and spermaceti also. Martha Green looks like a good boat for very lumpy water but she may be even slower than you imagine. Over 15hp would be a waste. I think Spermaceti has been recently built and Tang is very much like the Handy Billy's and they have a great following. Unless you just want to build an Albin 25 is a wonderful boat and I think it should serve you well.

3. eggman918

eggman918 Junior Member

Thanks Easy,
    I knew it would not be as easy as picking a design that looks/sounds good on paper I think I will start with a clean sheet and see what those with real world experience would use for my needs assemble a short list and go from there.
    Steve.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.