Asymmetrical hull using Maxsurf Academic?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mystrwizard, Nov 21, 2009.

1. mystrwizard

mystrwizard Junior Member

I am designing a Proa hull and actually have all the marks in representing offsets for the hull but I cannot figure out how to fair the lines to match up to one of the sides. When I fair one side, it just mirrors the other and I cannot figure out how to be able to fair each side separately.

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Mystrwizard maxsurf starts by assuming an asymmetric hull form you can turn this off in the “surface properties “ then you have to create the new surface or surfaces for that side of the hull. It’s a good idea to bond the edges on the centreline.

3. mystrwizard

mystrwizard Junior Member

So I went into surface properties and turned off symmetrical but now cannot figure out how to create a new surface for that second side. Ive tried to flip surface but it seems no matter which option I use, it flips in the wrong way? Any suggestions? Thanks!

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Mystrwizard I ran the steps like this from turning off symmetry, in section view I went to surfaces> flip surfaces> in dialogue box, select all, then pick transverse, figure zero, then tick duplicate and bonding if necessary, ok. It put in a surface opposite which I then bonded.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.