Vetus AP2 hydraulic autopilot

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mpe, Sep 16, 2013.

1. mpe

mpe Junior Member

Hello, I have a Colvic Motorsailer with a Vetus AP2 hydraulic autopilot AP2 that just wants to go round to port in circles. Pump, RAM and valves all seem OK, New rudder feedback unit fitted.

I suspect that the control unit is faulty, is there anybody out there with a circuit diagram?

I am an electronic engineer and would have no problem repairing the unit (assuming parts are available)

Alternatively, does anybody have a control unit for sale, faulty or working for sale? Many thanks,

2. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Try first, if the compass is aligned properly. Rubbish in - rubbish out, you know...

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

are you are sure that the autopilot hydraulic valves are not recieving commands from the control unit ?

Most times its the valves that are not functioning. The valves are controlled by relays.

I would double check valves and relays and their electric connections.. They fail more often than the control head.

Vetus repackages other manufactures equipment. Who manufatured the auto ?

Vetus should be able too supply a system diagram.

4. mpe

mpe Junior Member

Thanks

Thank you for your suggestions, I shall have to figure out a way to test the flux gate compass, it does look rather fragile inside with the fine suspension wires.
    I think the valves are OK, I did apply the correct voltage to them and they clicked, I shall check them again, I have the pump on my bench at the moment. I do have all the manuals and wiring diagrams which came with the unit, but Vetus say that they do not have circuit diagrams of the electronics within the head unit.thanks for the info.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Most autopilots also have a ...servo....manual steer function that is independent of the compass or other inputs.

This will tell you that the valves, relays are responding to port OR STB
    on my unit...inside the control head there are led's that light when commands are given to the relays...there is also an led to monitor the rudder angle input

If you know the commands are give you can search for the response problem.

Im not an electro guy but i am forced to mess around with the stuff.

The flux will be communicating either nmea or sig/cos.

To test i connect to another compatble device with a readout. Nmea can be detected with a voltmeter. Plus minus legs. Unfortunatly the sentence cant be read with normal test gear

Rudder angle feedback can be clockwise or counterclockwise. Make sure you have selected the correct rotation for the rudder angle indicator or the commands will be opposite.

http://www.vetus.com/media/magentominds/sasdocument/20130129160430_0.pdf

6. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Afterthought: If the rudder angle sensor is mis-adjusted: The autopilot will believe that the rudder is amidships, but in fact it is not.

I have honestly never seen electronic devices that do not work properly in themself. If they fail, then completely. Failures appear usually where things get connected and not too seldom there are operator errors.

7. mpe

mpe Junior Member

Rudder feedback

Very many thanks for that suggestion, the rudder feedback unit was broken when I bought the boat and I fitted a new one. That will be the next thing I will check, Thank you

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.