Astrid sinks

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Nick.K, Jul 24, 2013.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I don't comment on tragedy. I was not on the ship at this time.
    Keep your analyze for yourself since you are way off. Just read what I wrote, don't speculate. You seams prone to do that anyway.
    You don't get me upset,(again speculation) you just don't get it.
    And don't lie, you are not sorry.

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

"you just don't get it"

I actually did regret that you seemed to be upset.

But "I don't comment on tragedy" - you have to be joking. Never mind.

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Here's some charts and another video.

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/east-and-south-of-ireland/oyster-haven/charts.asp?cattype=5

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=428_1374757068

A skipper sinks a ship on a lee shore, a training ship no less, one utilized to teach how to sail and keep out of trouble, and the appropriate response is to not talk about it and Praise The Lord for saving everyone. The irony of not learning a lesson from the sinking of a training ship is a bit humorous.

Cutting in between that island and the mainland looks like a shortcut.

I believe the RNLI deserves the praise for any salvations here.

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Sometimes as we say **** happens. The most important thing is to suspend the wisdom in hindsight and look at what any peer would have done in the circumstances.

They were using 'the smaller engine' (according to one of the owners, the captains wife in one media report) which implies there was a bigger main engine. And the master may have initially thought that one of them could be started easily enough.

Then they had a boat that thought it could pull the vessel around into the wind which was a good option as it could then jog slowly off under sail.

Anchoring may not have been a good option with little sea room and by the time the better options were exhausted it was probably too late anyway.

You have to prioritise the options in the masters shoes at the time.

Commercial airliner pilots have the advantage of numerous crisis simulations and people often think ships masters should be similarly trained. But it's really better to put the money into SOLAS which worked very well in this case. And the master knew that ultimately rescue was very close.

Not the first ship to be lost from engine failure under competent command and certainly not the last.

5. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...-tall-ship-sinks-off-cork-coastline-1.1474151

Irish Sailing Associate chief executive Harry Hermon, who was on a Rib accompanying the flotilla of 15 boats, witnessed the events. “The skipper waved to us and indicated he had engine failure,” Mr Hermon said. "The crew tried to put up the sails but there was a strong onshore wind."
    "We tried to put a line on to try and tack him away from the wind, but the Rib wasn’t big enough or powerful enough to do that, and it was just too late to throw an anchor."

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Sounds logical.

The boat was too close to a lee shore and couldnt escape.

7. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

[​IMG]

Now she's looted, her antique compass, bell and steering wheel are stolen :( . . (link) . . (link)
    (both links are dutch and ask to accept cookies first)​
    No cheers to the filthy thieves :mad:
    Angel

8. Angélique

9. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

So, if this 'captain' was competent, what was the captain of the Concordia?

A genius?

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I'm not sure why you're so hell-bent on beating up the captain of the Astrid. What's your problem?

The Astrid incident is in no way comparable to the Concordia, and neither are the captains. This one didn't abandon his vessel with crew and passengers still aboard, after wrecking it during an ill-advised photo-op.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

How are you doing?

Hadn't heard from you in a long time. Hope all is well on your side of the world.

Why do you think this Captain did better?

Both sailed too close to shore and sank their ship. One lost lives and the other did not. Both abandoned ship.

Tell me what is truly different?

Take care,

Wayne

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

One was going about his business and got waylaid by a mechanical failure, during what should have been a routine ship's movement. The other one destroyed his ship while he was showboating.

One reacted immediately, and did everything he could to save the people on board. The other one 'tripped and fell into a lifeboat,' and left people to die - after he delayed rescue efforts by pretending there was no problem, and waited too long to call for abandoning ship.

Did the captain of the Astrid make a mistake in judgment? Maybe; I'll wait until I know more about what happened. But to equate him with Captain Coward from the Concordia is an insult not only to him, but to our intelligence.

13. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Well, I won't insult intelligence.

And after your eloquent speech, I gotta admit, I do not paint him a coward.

14. Angélique

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I guess now all he has to do is buy them from the insurers or salvagers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.