Who And What Is A Boatbuilder

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Sean Herron, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

What is a boatbuilder...

Post your stories...

SH.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

I will pay for a hamburger today if you can build me a boat tomorrow.... I can chop down a tree with an axe (very slowly now as ageing processes you know) - I know what I like my boat to look like - I appreciate people with good trade skills - I am not an electrician and have wired up a house - My bank is holding a little gold bar for me and I want the price to grow rapidly - No mortgage - Kids gone and got married - I am patiently waiting for some change so I can go sailing and never come back....

3. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

a fool perhaps:?:

4. clodgo

clodgo Senior Member

I don't know the exact definition, but with unemployment being as it is, I'm guessing anyone with a bunch of crappy old tools from a recently defunct carpentry business and a garage full of materials can call themselves a boat builder.

Of coarse this depends on whether or not this person can tear themselves away from boat forums and family guy repeats.:p

CC

5. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

*Like a sailor, s/he must have a very short memory.
    *S/He must have the patients of Job.
    *S/He must possess a very high tolerance for pain.
    *S/He must be willing to survive on peanuts and be accused of being a bandit at the same time.
    *S/He must study his profession for half a lifetime to achieve a level of competence worthy of journeyman (much less Master) to receive compensation less than half that of a Plumber.
    *And s/he must absolutely love what they are doing or have their head examined for doing it.

1 person likes this.
  6. timtap

timtap New Member

I am a boatbuilder with thirty years behind me, althouh a marine engineer I regard myself as a fitter !!
    Having worked for Tremlett boats and Marine Projects in the past I have had the pleasure of seeing two sides to the boatbuilding side. Tremletts were often One offs and individual both fit out and engineering but Marine Projects were just 'ON MASS'
    I built the Princes 266 Riviera and with a workforce of only 18 people on the shop floor we knocked out 6 266s a month and In them days I could fit 2 Volvo inboard/outdrives, including cutting out transoms in 5 hours, Fitting a 290 outdrive took 9 minutes . But at the end of the day Tremletts was a real joy. Every boat had a different installation choice and the boats ranged form the popular 21 footer to the 54 Gin Palace . Every part from Bow Rail to engine choice was different with customers that ranged from drug barons to the Military with each individulal requirements taken into account.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Any fool who craves a boat and cannot afford to buy?

8. timtap

timtap New Member

What... You mean Us that pander to the Halfwits that shell out stupid amounts of money for the boats only to have them languish in some marina for 51 weeks a year only to give a home to every sea creature with a modecome more brain cells than the boat owners themselves ???
    YUP Thats me !!!!!!

Fortunately I actually do love boats and love working on them and in my spare time preparing them to race and rally !!!!
    So perhaps boat owners do often regard us as a lower lifeform but a lot of us love what we do !!!!!!! THATS LIFE !!!

9. Sean Herron

All Fine...

Hello...

Today while driving my golf cart about the yard - I pondered on how many cans I would have to collect to support my lifestyle as it is - plus getting just the right shopping cart and just the perfect sized garbage bag to make a rain poncho - not being very good at simple multiplication - I just chucked some tools into a bag and went out and made some patterns for some aluminum kickplate deck thingees - I am a boat builder...:)

SH.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Sean, we know that and by all accounts, a bloody good one.... and to love boats/boating one must be somewhat nutty/insane as I am sure we all are....

Thems that like the big and powerful ones that try to part the waters, - read the bible - Moses only achieved that for a few hours with the help of God, - - - - and all the rest of us pretend we are improving on a cork... :D:D ...? and pray for Gods forgiveness and deliverance...

In Australia, those who like to denigrate Melbourne declare that their river "The Yarra" is too thin to plough and too thick to swim in and as a river, hardly navigable....

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Some one who's happy to run a charity where the beneficiaries are wealthy & like to play with boats. Jeff.

12. Sean Herron

You With The Shopping Cart

Hello...

OK - I have run the figures - it amounts to 1400 cans a week at 5 cents a piece - I believe...:)

That is 280 cans a day in 8 hours - plus the rain poncho - plus the shopping trollie or cart - now mind that this is all tax free...

280 cans a day in 8 hours - I think I will need a hand gun - say 50 bums with full trollies - and I can keep my Ford...:)

Or - I just keep building boats - seems easier really...:)

I am a boat builder and I have to be proud of it - or I have nothing...:)

Hope you are all well...

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNzZzsvOClc ...

Also Redneck Bungie Jumping in Sask. CDN - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZhLtO-ZJbM ...

SH.

13. clodgo

clodgo Senior Member

Hi kids

I love working on my project and I've only lost one or two friends!

I'll make more someday...

I am a boat builder;)

cc

14. clodgo

clodgo Senior Member

"oh you headless chicken, can those poor teeth take so much kicking"

Brian Eno, "dead finks don't talk"

15. Sean Herron

Candles In The Dark

Hello...

Carry on and on you mad chicken...

SH.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.