Berthing and liveaboard a large barge

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by continentshift, Dec 27, 2008.

1. continentshift

continentshift New Member

Hello there, I stumbled over this site trawling the net for (non-existent) information regarding living on and berthing a 20m, (beam 5m) steel multihull barge. Where on earth would people be able to moor/berth such large vessel, and also have access to marine services. I am looking at buying one that is in the beginnings of being converted to a house boat, currently in dry dock. It all sounds great, but the logistics and mooring issues look scary. Any ideas among the forum members or where to turn for more information? You can also email me at m.b@idl.com.au. I live near Byron Bay in Australia. Thanks, Monika

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

It sounds like a giant size headache to me... be very wary about committing to that one! If its low enough (bridges) maybe you could drag it up the Tweed River and find some friendly farmer with a wharf (gotta be scarce!) otherwise storage could be costing a packet!

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Or if shallow draft as some barges seem to be just drive it up to any friendly beach, drop the front door and invite the party goers in? not really conducive to anything sensible? and would pound like an unlatched barn door in a storm...

5m (16ft) is not that wide as many 40+ ft cats are close on 25ft wide (Fusion)... There is a huge cost in marina berthing, so hope your wallet has plenty of cash filling it....

4. continentshift

continentshift New Member

Thanks chaps for the confidence! And good advice. The wheel house can actually be unbolted and carried on the lower deck to negotiate bridges etc. Where are other people with such large boats? I have tried a couple of Marinas but they don't take boats that size. Any further suggestions out there???

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Buy/build a large cat and cruise.... my choice is the link at the bottom of my post

6. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Paying a fortune for marina berths or swinging around on moorings.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Looks fine where it is to me!!

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

At least it's safe there! If your going for a big boat (and why the hell not if you can afford it) get something halfway seaworthy, and anything with big windows (holes) ain't!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.