assistance with floodable length

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Farley, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Farley

Farley Junior Member

Hello all,

i have been trying to carry out some analysis on a vessel i have a preliminary design for. I need to find out where watertight bulkheads are going to be positioned and i know i use the floodable lengthoption to help me but my knowledge stops there. Is the value which hydromax return in the floodable length calcs the maximum allowable compartment length at that longitudinal position? If so where after that? and if that was wrong, where do i go next?

thank you all for you help

2. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

Floodable length, by definition is a length of compartment with it's center at specific position; compartment can be flooded while keeping specified reserve buoyancy.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Well, to start with, you need to know which set of rules you are going to apply; SOLAS,HSC, MCA, EU 98/18 etc etc

Then look on your GA and select most suitable location, for structure/outfitting etc.

Once you have done the steps above, you plug in the location of the WTBs, and see if she passes the criteria in the rules she is being designed to satisfy.

Simple..:p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.