help......

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by petrey10, Jun 27, 2007.

1. petrey10

petrey10 Junior Member

where can I find out more about my older Larson boat...its a tri hull with a 140 hp onboard engine. open bow. can anybody help me??

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

What do you want to know?

3. petrey10

petrey10 Junior Member

well I know the boat is a trihull built by Larson. I know it has an carburated onboard 4 cylinder engine that I was told puts out 140hp. I believe the boat is anywhere from 1975 to 1990. It is white with blue stripe down the side. It has an open bow and can seat from anywhere 6-8 people. The previous owner said that the boat works but it is really heavy because there is a foam material underneath the floor that got some water in it and just really never dried so he thought if I just removed that foam stuff it should help a lot. What do you guys think? I would love to get it running fairly well by Fourth of JUly but I realize I don't have much time. Any help to get this done would be AMAZING...remember I know hardly anythign about boats but know decent amount on car engines which might help get the engine running well. Thanks for the help in advance

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Look for the ID plate. I think they are placed around the transom. Not sure if that universal though.

Post ALL the info from the plate here. Theres a good possibility someone will then be able to help more.

Good luck & welcome.

Tim

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It will take too long to get the foam out by the 4th so just try and get the engine running first. The extra weight shouldn't bother much unless it's an excessive amount. For engine questions go to the "Propulsion" section and ask in the appropriate forum. Wear plenty of life jackets.

6. petrey10

petrey10 Junior Member

well they said it got pretty wet....so maybe it dried and I won't need to take it out...its been sitting a while what should be my first step in getting it running??

7. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Check the upper left part of your screen and click on "Boat design Forums", on the next screen click on the 4th topic down, "Propulsion", on the next screen click on the 4th topic down, "sterndrives" (When you say "onboard" engine, I think you mean "inboard", which means the engine is inside the boat, but there is a rubber shroud and what looks like the bottom of an outboard motor hanging off the back of your boat. That combination is called a sterndrive, or I/O [stands for inboard/outboard] ).

Once you are in the sterndrive forum, there will be many topics dealing with getting an engine started. One very important thing is to check the rubber shroud for cracks or tears. That rubber shroud is keeping the water out of your boat and internal drive parts, so it's got to be good. If you've worked with auto engines, you'll probably be able to get it running.

Very important thing to remember on a boat that's been out of service a while is to check for leaks in the fuel system. Gasoline leaks in a car eventually land on the road. Gasoline leaks in a boat eventually land in the bottom (bilge) of the boat. That's a fire and/or explosion hazard. No problem if you make sure there are no leaks.

Good luck, and enjoy your boat!

8. petrey10

petrey10 Junior Member

finally got the boat home and it is a 1971 Larson 16'...On the title there is no model listed... The engine is an I/O with a carburated 4 cylinder....The outboard is lifted hydrolically....I need to drain the gas tank and clean it up and put some good fuel in there....do you guys think there will be much difference from 87 octane up to 93 octane? The engine turned over really well and I can see no cracks or leaks anywhere. if anybody knows somewhere I could get a manual or some more information on it that would be amazing.

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

10. petrey10

petrey10 Junior Member

how do I supply the water to the engine?

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Usually with a thing like this that hooks up to a water hose and fits around the water intakes on the lower unit. If the engine has been sitting for a long time the water pump impeller in the engine may be bad. I don't know about your engine but most have a telltale stream of water that squirts out to show if the pump is pumping when the engine is running.
    http://www.iboats.com/Mercruiser_Mo...8037003--list_time.1183208527--view_id.270008

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.