Assembling a Fairing Crew

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by CatBuilder, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I'm going to try out the square sanding disc just to see how it works for us. At least, we can maybe knock off the highs with one.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The square dust devil stress's out your electric grinder. Be careful...let the grinder reach operating rpm so that the motor is ventilated and doesn't burn up.

then use a " light touch " with sharp paper. I use a Makita...and put it down when it gets too hot

3. CatBuilder

Thanks for the tip, Michael.

My grinder thanks you as well. Being the most prized tool in my shop, he is very thankful for the warning.

It does (luckily) have a thermal overload shut off switch built in.

I will probably start it out on 1 (out of 6) for speed and make sure to keep it spinning at full low speed RPM.

That was one of the peeves I had with my employee. He kept the grinder on 6 (full RPM) and would use the trigger hundreds of times a minute. He made smoke come out of a $300, brand new Makita belt sander that way. I got pissed! :)

Had to teach him how to not overheat the power tools by keeping the lock on and RPMs up.

4. michael pierzga

Many times workman take the handle off a grinder to make it easier to use and apply force directly on centreline for precision control. It works, But This means the workmans hand is on top of the motor blocking ventilation. The Makita is my favorite...lightweight, motor over pad design, but unfortunately the motor vent is right were a workman puts his hand . Might be worthwhile to investigate other motor over pad brands to see if the ventilation ducts are placed differently.
    Belt sanders dont get much use on boats...mine is ancient and still looks good.

Attached Files:

5. CatBuilder

I have this one and it is absolutely fantastic. Best tool I own.
    [​IMG]

6. michael pierzga

Looks good...easy access to the brushes. Buy some extra brushes. When they wear or get fouled brushes arc and generate heat.

I can never decide whether to buy cheap Chinese and throw away or good stuff and service.
    I just paid 300 euros for a top quality variable speed grinder...a weapon...hope no one drops it off the scaffolding

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

the average strong young guy wont cope either

It is undoubtedly a "special" kind of fitness that has to be attained and then MAINTAINED
    Please believe me - been there and got the badge

If the "new recruit" has a good attitude and is willing to work, keep him on, because the first week his shoulders are giving him hell, nevermind the sleepless nights

I screwed up both shoulders now, and my Physiotherapist sessions starts tomorrow. At age 59 it was not a clever thing to do at all.

8. Simon.Davies

Simon.Davies New Member

Employment Enquiry

Hi, I am a yacht fairer with over 5 years experience working in collaboration with company's such as Pinmar, Rolling Stock, Feadship and Palmer Johnson, in Germany, Holland, Spain and the U.K. I am currently residing in Cornwall and am looking for a new project to join either in the U.K or abroad.

Many thanks

Simon Davies

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.