Arrangement for trailerable powerboat ?

Discussion in 'Option One' started by fcfc, Jun 12, 2006.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Isnt that gonna limit the highth over all to something like 6'?

WHY?

See Tad's fine example on his site of a nice cruiser with a folding deck house.

The limit would either be a bit under 9 ft to fit in a container or the hight on a trailer under 13.5 ft (in USA).

We have contemplated such a vessel for a long time , and the chance of a rolly harbor with swells from 2 directions would be handled by slipping a pole ( like a 4 inch spinnaker pole) into a socket that goes through the hull from side to side , and then attaching a dink (with similar heavy mounts) on the pole.

As a half ***'d catamaran she should be quiet enough for proper living aboard or sleeping.

FF

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

The 8.5m trailer cruiser I'm playing around with right now (computer simulations and tow model, no actual boat yet) is about 7'3" wide and the top of the wheelhouse is about seven feet above the water. Calculations done so far indicate that its stability is just fine. Many of the powerboats in the local marina are sufficiently stable with a 17' high flybridge on a 10-12' beam (although those are utter crap when out on the water). The rolling can be alleviated by going with a fairly stiff hull form and keeping weight low. I see no reason why this boat couldn't have full standing headroom and great visibility with a 39' length and 7'6" beam. Yes, a long skinny boat will roll more than a long fat boat. But when we compare stability, comfort, speed, efficiency, etc. of boats with comparable displacement (and thus comparable cost), the long and skinny ones tend to come out ahead.... they suck on dock fees though, hence the appeal of trailerable.

3. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

The long skinny boats are more economical to run. No doubt about that. I've been on some of those long skinny buggers in a cross sea. It's a thrill at first and then its a chore.
    Make your steering easy so you can make those quick changes at the top of the waves and the bottoms.

I will say that I've never been on a long skinny boat that turned over. Close, but I really dont think we were ever in danger.
    If you load up the top of the bridge you might be in trouble. That's the kind of thing I was referring to when I said long skinny boats roll too much.

In Cook inlet AK, the old beach set net boats were long skinny fishing boats that can be beached, because they have the big Skeg.

They are 'muthabear' to get across the inlet in those quartering waves. That Skeg takes over and makes it almost impossible to turn the boat in a hurry.
    You wind up getting slammed, and then dropped into a trough, with each wave. Lordy you get tired and short tempered on a ride like that.
    But you guys are right, I never felt like we might roll.

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Make your steering easy so you can make those quick changes at the top of the waves and the bottoms.

Our plan is a vertical tiller in the pilot house as used on many lobster boats and YC launches. Modern line and large pulleys would keep weight and loads down.

Very rapid rudder movements are easy , but the added + is that a low cost tiller auto pilot should work just fine.

Guess I'm just cheap, as well as lazy.

FF

5. fishingaz

fishingaz Junior Member

hi kcfc.i own something of the type of boat you are looking for so maybe a search of the arvor range might help you .we own an arvor20 designed for the north sea .so its great for me down here in australia.it is 20 ft