around the world voyage

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by hartley, Jul 11, 2009.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

MSQ would, of occasion, not be out of place amongst the SS in their perceived attitude in some journals, but in this case I feel they took the correct decision... The simple logical question applies if she was driving on a highway (but she is too young to drive) and a road-train (prime mover with 3 to 5 trailers with 40ft loads - 140tonnes GVM plus - in tow) was coming the other way seemingly in erratic operation would one not logically get out of the road? and presumably, Silver Yang had reduced manoeuvrability, but NO evidence of erratic behaviour, so begs the question? - - The lass showed a lack of competence...

2. COOL Mobility

COOL Mobility Sailor using wheelchair

As you'll probably know by now Jessica ran into a freighter after about 24hrs at sea heading down to Sydney. Obviously, the radar proximity warning didn't wake her, getting her needed beauty sleep.
    Authorities and experienced yachties are now coming out and saying "too young and not enough experience" but her parents are deaf to all this which really worries me. Sounds like they want to write the postumous book on their "brave daughter's preparations". The English lad who did the round world (but not non-stop) has stated it is hard to get used to sleeping longer than 40 min now back on land! Jessica couldn't even be woken by a radar alarm after only 24 hrs - probably went to sleep listening to teeny bopper tunes on her iPod.
    Too young and not realistically aware of the risks she has ahead if she takes off again. Someone should stop this escalation of RTW young sailors as where will it stop???

3. masalai

masalai masalai

It, I am afraid, will only stop, following several "death by misadventure" results from judicial enquiries, and thereafter, apply adversely bureaucratic restraints and constraints on all cruising yacht activities...

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

How true

my feelings exactly

very sad situation

5. hartley

hartley Junior Member

Jessica has just rounded cape horn ....atta girl... good pictures on her blog jessica watson.com.au hartley

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Even if i am not crazy about the idea of a child at sea - i must say

CONGRATULATIONS

Jessica is doing well after 4 knockdowns
    basically halfway at her projected 11 000 miles after 3 months
    really good going

Abby Sunderland is off as well and i sincereley hope she has good weather around the horn by the end of Feb beginning of March, should be ok

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Crazy

well guys this is crazy -

Abby Sunderland

Sailing since SIX months

you are baby passenger

i rest my case :(

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

listen carefully

she says the radar will wake her up if anything comes within

wait for it

SIX FEET

i am going to bed
    bye

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.