around the world voyage

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by hartley, Jul 11, 2009.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Hmmm, some good points but a couple of realistic things.

If she tried to contact the big boat, she must have been awake and in control. Why the &^&^*# didnt she steer away ?????

Sail does not neccesarily give automatic right of way. In limited shipping lanes very large boats have right of way for obvious reasons

I am sure that the details will leak out over time - it will make an interesting read

2. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

If she was asleep I could understand. There was plenty of warning. Waste of time trying to talk to the ships, you just get out of their way, they are doing 22 knots or so. I encounter these ships at sea all the time as a fisherman, I turn on mercury vapour deck lights, even in day time, but I will always alter course or stop to avoid them.

The up shot of all the TV coverage of this accident is sponsors are coming out of the woodwork with offers of help.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Well the proof is in the pudding? - If I heard correctly?, she admitted she was taking a nap below? so where was the automatic radar watch, or the AIS radar receiver, with alarm activated? and in a busy shipping channel? the vessel (bulk carrier) was either heading north to enter Brisbane or heading under control of the pilot into the port and laden would be about 10 miles to stop or something similar to "swerve" in restricted manoeuvring conditions, if it was seen on their 72 mile radar which would NOT have detected a small plastic boat even with a radar reflector... at about 2:30 in the dark with the tanker relying heavily on gps/radar with the festoons of lights on shore blinding the cox'n.... He who foolishly expects the bridge of a large vessel to see a 30 something foot boat at night is somewhat lacking in life's reality & common sense.... To be of the belief that the sail-boat has right of way period.... is negligent and needs a lesson in seamanship and the facts of life... Only the Buddhist monks walk with care for natures small life-forms, and I am sure that they step on many unsuspecting ants etc....

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Yes coregs require this lookout "at all times" something sounds a bit odd in the timing and chosen course of action in her account, and perhaps here lack of experience counts here.

Colregs also require affirmative action to avoid a collisions no matter who had the right of way.

The time to try and contact the ship and start thinking about changing course and perhaps starting the engine is when you have determined the leading lights are pointing in your direction just after they have appeared over the horizon.

In poor visibility the watch should be looking regularly at the radar especially in areas that can be littered with budged Asian and Russian fishermen with very little in the way of electronics and no english speaking watch either.

I think the attitude is a little like saying this railway line is only used irregularly and randomly so I'll be perfectly safe sleeping on it.

But in reality what can single handers do ?
    An AIS transponder should look after the big ships but a collision detect radar should look after anything that is a good radar target for a small boat radar. Maybe a radar detecter would be a good idea too. At night good visiblef bright nav lights and maybe a strong white strobe would be sensible . And never sleep while crossing a shipping lane.
    And then you can still cross your fingers.

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Regards
    Richard

6. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Yikes.. wow.

The last possible thing in the world I would have done.

Will be interesting when the details come out.

I always scurry off like a scared mouse when I see these things coming.

Very glad to hear she is unhurt.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Female.....................

They do it that way......

8. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Female.....

I try not to think of such things....

[​IMG]

Sailing related... honest..

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I made my point of view very clear

I really think these ventures are wrong - bad - dangerous - stupid and should NEVER be allowed.
    A child should be in school - period.

however bntii

BEEEEG THANKS FOR SANITY

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Whith great pleasure I like to contradict you in this case! (I know you love contributions? contradic...)

When 12 they have to stand life! When 14 they have to be able to earn a living. when 16 they have to circumnavigate without our assistance.
    when 20 they have to laugh about our fears.........

When old fat brats, they have to ask why nobody did allow them as they have been 14!

Regards
    Richard

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Richard this part of your post i really like :D

then because they know everything and they are making their own bucks they might as well go and sail around the world, and let that genius loose, write a book and become overnight tycoons and celebrities:D

always remember that i am blessed with two of these XYZ ? generation creations, both of them a university, 1x Journalism and English history and 1x Chemical Engineering. Our dinner table discussions can get "lively" ;)

So as an old fart who has been in business for 30 (Thirty) years i still think kids are stoooopid :p

sorry i got a bit of track here
    back to sailing

my work is messing up my boat building program

but i am still looking for crew :D

Attached Files:

13. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

It is a current idea knocking around that a rescue beacon type strobe as used on danbouys life jackets life rafts etc be allowed and even encouraged for small vessels becasue their nav lights are so weak that they are often missed by the watch in poor visibility.

They would be used in conjunction with existing NAV lights so presumably these would allow the eye to regulate the distance.

Think of a police car or ambulance at night, there are flashing lights but also fixed lights as well. The argument for a flashing or strobed light is that it gets the watchmans attention I guess you then make sure you have something he can fix on.

Then there's always the frustrated small boats attention seeking behaviour of firing white flares at the ship bridge to attract their attention :)

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

I was ever able to guess a distance of even small vessels on the Elbe or Bosphorus, now since many of them have strobes, I know they are there, but no idea where. Resolution? As long as I cannot smell the skippers sweat I hold towards it! It may be a hundred miles away!?

In the past, at sea I met some of them,
    I shot them red, right at the front of their bridge (enabled us reading "NO SMOKE") it was a tanker. No one took notice. Ghost ships are the rule, not the excemption. We shot them another flare right at the windows, no reaction.
    If that was my tanker, I would have a problem!
    Not with rockets on deck (that is a problem for a moment, if), but with a sleeping crew.

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

Ah, I forgot to tell you why I shot them flares towards their unworthy life.

The funnel was in bright fire! And that looked really good (from a distance).

But what have I to care, when no one would have had a problem with mangling me under?

No

We went apart, and I would have had a problem giving them any assistance, thats the truth!
    Let them die was my intention, and that is my intention still. Let those gangsters die! They do not care of anything, why care of them? !!!

Regards
    Richard

No lets say I could have been unfair to polish your fronts without notice.
    I have lost all my family yesterday and I am crying my heart out here..........
    sorry for this only one time.......please!
    I will never again beg your pardon.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.