Around in Ten

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Manie B, Jul 2, 2008.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Unfortunately Floyd the only way to learn is by doing, we cannot and will not learn from those who have gone before! I'm sure all of us at some stage have done something horrendiously stupid, I'm sure you will, just try not to kill yourself in the process!

By all means listen to what others have to say - good and bad but when it comes down to it there is only one person you have to live with - you! go for it son, as I say try not to kill yourself in the process - good luck and enjoy! Remember life is not a rehersal you only get one go!

2. floydrob

floydrob Junior Member

i dont think i will kill myself, i do like adrenaline rush of big waves and trying to keep a wee boat under control in such conditions, dont mind getting wet...i'm scottish,u get wet all the time anyway. lol. but even on inshore lochs, i like to really open the throttle but like u say, i always have and always have taken good safety measures. if u have ever been sailing in scotland, u will no what we sail in here, lets just say it aint calm, and i have been is several boating accidents and have learned from my mistakes, but every time i have been wearing a life jacket, the most serious was an 8ft skiff i may have mentioned b4, designed by herb mcleod, and was firing along with an oversized engine (6hp seagull) and hit a 3meter wave at about 25kts! all the waves were small(ish) but the sea began to swell alot and suddenly i saw a huge wave in front of me! it wasnt the wave, it was the landing when i nosedived into the trough! :C but i now know that iif u want to do what zap-cats do, get a zapcat, skiffs aint any good for that. lol. but thanks for the reply and i will take what u have said onboard. :D

3. safewalrus

Floyd I've seen it absolutly flat calm in parts of the Northern North Sea and the other side too, so yes it does get calm in Scotland (gets bloody rough as well) and you don't get wet ALL the time but even on super calm days there's always the chance of going overboard, no matter what speed - I've spent some 17 minutes in the Tay (that's in Scotland, ken) in February and know one thing - it's cold! enough to kill you, nearly did - so ma wee loon tak care an ye'll do awricht!

4. floydrob

floydrob Junior Member

likein the rabbie burns lingo, lol.

5. floydrob

floydrob Junior Member

oh and btw, west is best, i'm tokin bout the atlantic, thats choppy, all the time(well i havent seen what you would call a calm day in the 15 years i have spent living on the west coast.

6. safewalrus

and what pray would YOU call a calm day, in all your worldly experience? The Atlantic is rarely choppy, it has a large swell and can be very rough at times but 'choppy?' What is choppy?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.