around in pocket, I I think so

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by WindRaf, Oct 2, 2014.

1. bpw

bpw Senior Member

Quite a few of these people grew up around boats and had a good bit of sailing experience before setting off. Guzzwell in particular had been sailing for years and was already working as a shipwright before his circumnavigations.

Its also interesting to note that most of these trips where not high latitude. Robin Lee Graham almost got sunk during the short amount of time he spent in the southern ocean rounding the cape of good hope. Guzwell was pitch poled on a much larger boat in the southern ocean.

The southern ocean is far less forgiving than a circumnavigation around the temperate and equatorial zones or a trip across the Atlantic with the trades.

Again, I think what Windraf wants to do is possible, but it will require good planning and going in with eyes wide open.

2. Westel

Westel Senior Member

It seems that those with a lot of small (not micro) boat experience very seldom attempt something like this. They probably have their reasons to not undertake an adventure like that.
    In only a few occasions the boat was the reason for failure, if we can speak of such a thing, to end the voyage.At least one of those micro cruisers washed up to shore, long after the skipper left the vessel.

The skipper allways is and will be the most important issue to make such a trip in a micro cruiser, or for any boat that is, succesful or not.

Dedication is very difficult to judge via the internet so the debate wether or not someone will be able to make a succesful ocean crossing or circumnavigation in a micro cruiser, is of limited value in my opinion......unless technical matters are discussed.

Stroll through the threads concerning these micro cruiser proposals and notice how the technical debate is focused by those who are for it and how people with a negative view mostly talk about the pshygological capability of the man who attempt a deep sea adventure in a micro cruiser.

It's one thing to say that Manie's boat will not be up to the task, and I'm sure there are more than enough people with the technical back ground to debate this in detail, but questioning Manie's dedication and will to succeed because "Manie has lots of experience motoring around a big lake-thats got to count for something" is redicilous and does not add a single grain of value to the discussion.

1 person likes this.
  3. WindRaf

WindRaf Senior Member

About the experience.
    Obviously, the experience is always important. But in an adventure like this, the experience is very useful in the design of the boat and in planning the trip, but when you give up the moorings and looks aside, then what matters is the keeping physical and mental. And a good dose of luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Hannes Lindeman purely succeeded because of his will to achieve what he had in mind.
    His rubber folding Klipper kayak can hardly be considered a "suitable ocean vessel" for his second Atlantic crossing but he made it because of his experience with his first dugout canoe, his education but above all his determination.

There's no doubt that with todays technology and materials a 10 ft sailboat can be constructed that has a very good chance to survive almost "anything", all you need is a skipper that is stronger than his boat......

5. WindRaf

WindRaf Senior Member

steel ten :)

steel ten.png

6. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Vertue 25 (preferably in grp) or Hallberg Rassy 29 would be perfect candidates for a small and capable low cost yacht for circling the oceans.

7. WindRaf

WindRaf Senior Member

8. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Hello Windraf,

any idea how much a steel Ten would weigh ? What's the proposed hull plate thickness ?

Thanks

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

10. WindRaf

WindRaf Senior Member

of course, i know exatly the weigh, of each part and the total;
    thickness:
    3mm keel bottom to up to above the waterline , 2mm the upper part.

11. WindRaf

WindRaf Senior Member

ha ha.. yeah!

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

So how much do you estimate that a steel "ten" will weigh?

13. WindRaf

WindRaf Senior Member

what do you mean Manie, only the hull or final displacement?

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Just the hull weight is good.

What will be interesting is what do you estimate the completed boat will weigh

And what do you estimate fully loaded displacement to be

just for fun here are my calculations for my ten, enjoy :)

Attached Files:

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

What really nice the calculations show that my CG is on the water line in the middle of the boat FULLY LADEN

Thanks to Wynand of course ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.