Armstrong Bracket BOAT PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JOHN P., May 11, 2004.

1. JOHN P.

JOHN P. Junior Member

Thank you to everyone that helped with input on the positioning of my motor on my bracket. However I had an incident on Saturday May 8th.

I raised the motor up one hole and it did respond a little better, planed out, and the spray was eliminated. I was making about an 8-10 mile run offshore to do a little Cod fishing off the coast of Massachusetts. I arrived at my numbers and made a couple of drifts when I noticed that the boat felt heavy. Why I thought this I wasn't sure. I made a short run to another spot and noticed that the boat had lost it's handling. It was nos diving, handled out of control etc... I looked into the floatation tank within the bracket and found 30 plus gallons of water. I then removed the stern deck plate to find that water was infultrating into the hull via the bolts that bolt the bracket to the transom. I had an additional 17-22 gallons in the hull in a 3 1/2 building chop. The bildge pump kicked in and I headed back to shore to drain all the water out. My findings on my new 2004 boat and motor are that the bracket was never installed per the manufacturers instructions and the bolts were never sealed. How do I now check for future structure problems etc...
    What should I do? I've hired a marine surveyor. Any help is appreciated!
    Thank you,

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.