Are You Personally Prepared For a Natural Disaster?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Submarine Tom, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

No question. You were shocked at the Boulter Plywood prices, I'm sure. :D

I had never built a boat in the past so I was blissfully unaware that today's prices are absolutely INSANE. $6000 for a 45 gallon kit of infusion epoxy is pretty fierce too, as are the $3000 drums of normal epoxy out there.

Corecell is (I can't remember) but somewhere between $200 and $300 per sheet.

Building boats is horribly expensive, but still less than buying one (for some types of boats)

2. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Yes ... but that's man-made disaster -- we're talking about natural disasters ;)

Sort of.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

So has the cost of Maccas hamburgers, so I'm told. Without doing the comparison in constant dollar terms it's meaningless. Do you get paid the same as you did 20 years ago?

As for Boston's pushing of the anaerobic ocean stratification stuff, I personally know quite a few of the oceanographers who publish extensively, I've been on long research voyages with them and in my semi-retirement, I still collate and analyse data from instrument clusters in the Southern Ocean.

I've never heard of anyone suggesting this is a possibility.

Boston isn't satisfied with trolling on the global warming thread, he's trying to drag his stuff everywhere else as well.

The universe is predicted to die from heat death. Threads like this usually die from pollution. Time to kill it off IMO.

PDW

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I bought 1 gallon of epoxy(West) resin with dispensers and hardener which came to $177. I almost became incontinent. Almost but not quite. I may need another gallon before I am through.

6. CatBuilder

Actually, in inflation adjusted dollars, the average American makes less than they did 20 years ago.

In fact, they make the same amount as they made in 1968. :(

Taken straight from a report on the US Census Data:

"While the fact that a record number of Americans are living in poverty should not surprise anyone at this point, what should surprise many is that according to Table P-5 of the Census report of (Lack of) Income, the median male is now worse on a gross, inflation adjusted basis, than he was in... 1968! While back then, the median income of male workers was $32,844, it has since risen declined to $32,137 as of 2"

It's not as rosy here as in Australia.

7. hoytedow

I still wouldn't trade living here for living overseas.

8. CatBuilder

Jeez!! That's blisteringly expensive. Do get your epoxy anywhere else. That's the most expensive one.

The guys at bateau.com could probably set you up with better deals than that on both System Three and their own label epoxy.

They are in Vero Beach. They are a pleasure to do business with.

9. CatBuilder

Yeah, but PDW's assumption about the income in the States is way off. Just trying to put some factual data in here. Not telling you to move. :D

10. hoytedow

I won't need that much more of anything to finish the job, except for deck fittings etc. The big expense is actually the engine. Yeesh!

11. hoytedow

I knew that. I am trying to encourage people to come see Florida and drop some money. Don't tell anyone. :cool:

Avoid the pink area on the profile map unless you are visiting PAR. See my profile.

12. CatBuilder

Ah! Wish I saw that map before I located my build...

I was mostly familiar with Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

13. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

30 years after 1946...

14. hoytedow

Actually, Catbuilder, I think you chose well.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

sounds like you've got Diddly again :p:D:p:D:p:D:p:D

My bet is you've never even looked into it, and are once again just spouting off. anaerobic stratification has occurred in the past and given the right set of conditions will most likely happen again. Can you define a single climate scenario in the past that led to one of the stratification events ? My bet is no.

Might want to brush up on things before you go forming an opinion, that is, if you want to be taken seriously :idea::idea::idea::idea::D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.