Are You Personally Prepared For a Natural Disaster?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Submarine Tom, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

sorta

Its a permanently suck off your parents tit belief

which is just about as offensive

Trustafarian
    Noun- blood sucker with an superiority complex. Mamma's boy without a clue, but thinks he knows everything. Arogant bastad. Born with a silver spoon up his ***. Tard who thinks that simply because he'll never have to work a day, he's better than the rest of us. Has a trust fund and thinks he's god. Oh and always wears some form of Jamaican hat and smokes pot constantly

2. masalai

masalai masalai

OMG... enuf of that...

I like the suggestion from Yobarnacle... I have in mind several isolated spots in Australia... Definitely a NO-NO in someone else's country - like Melanesia... and 'twas suggested to me, that using a dredge, - That lovely stuff that can be backpacked by a couple of hiking enthusiasts in USA, - is illegal in Australia - or was that only Queensland??...

3. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Ah ... the prodigal son.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh-- We call them lucky barstads.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Frosty, In Pommy land they are breeding faster than any of "the lucky ********" can do it - known as the dole bludgers - similar problem here in the antipodes :eek: :eek: :p Easy stuff for you to replicate direct from the keyboard just remove the <space> from between the symbols : o = :eek: and ; ) = ;) and : D = :D and : P = :p Things is not too good in USA look-ee-here http://www.dailyreckoning.com.au/the-ubiquitous-us-zombie-job-market/2012/05/30/

7. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

There is no conundrum for ME. :) I don't own stocks! My money is not at risk! :)
    Will Rogers, the cowboy philosopher, (1/4 Cherokee) said when asked for investment advice during the FIRST great depression.
    "Buy land. They ain't making any more of the stuff."

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/willrogers378679.html#QT4qEPQ1fjiyPu17.99

Also Mark Twain said BEFORE Rogers, “Buy land, they're not making it anymore”

House rents follow the economy, gets cost of living increases. No other investment seems to! :)

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh ha ha ha

How top put a zip in a mattress.com

9. Yobarnacle

Put a zipper in it, Frosty! :)

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Looks like you know just as much about financial investments as you do global warming and we all know how impressive that was.

So what would you advise with 1 million US dollar. In todays climate.

(Rubbing hands together) I cant wait for your reply.

11. Yobarnacle

Frosty

Send it to me! :) (Rubbing hands together)

12. Yobarnacle

Masalai
    Found this, but how current is it?

"That's incorrect. Legislation allows for the use of non-powered tools to extract gold (ie by hand). This includes suction pumps like a crevice sucker and a yabbie pump. Using a powered sluice with a petrol driven motor still requires the soil to be moved by hand... the sluice is simply used as a classifier. Same applies to metal detectors. You still have to dig by hand and the humble metal detector is only used to locate the metal, not to dig or extract it. But if you bring out a mechanical backhoe to do the digging, you're in trouble because that's defined as "Mining". I think perhaps you are confusing the use of a motorized suction device (dredge) which moves or removes soil... with a hand-operated suction pump which is not considered mechanical extraction via machinery.

From a letter I have here:
    "The regulations specify that a person must not, in the course of fossicking, use any explosives or power operated equipment, If a fossicker uses a hand feed sluice box, capable of being lifted by a single person, which is not located in a stream and only water and not gravel is pumped to it then my Department would consider such activity as complying with the spirit and intention of the regulations". Forwarded by Minister For Mineral Resources (The Hon Bob Martin). "This language was based upon advice received from the Department's Mines Inspection Branch"(NSW).

Now you can pick this apart with interpretations but the Mining Act (NSW) 1992 allows for various methods of fossicking. Even State Forests understand the need to dig a hole in the ground with a pick. But using a hand-pump is not considered to be powered-extraction or mining by definition, nor would it be considered so 'in the spirit of the law'. "

"In Victoria it says "any device that lifts sand/gravel with water is illegal" and there is a move afoot to challenge this interpretation but as it stands now in Vic its illegal thats why i said "go to your relevant Gov. site and check"

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t2987-dredging-in-australia

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh what a shame --I was looking forward to that but I should have known you would have no idea. Its a personal view you see no cutting and pasting possible. You would have had to use thought.

14. Yobarnacle

Frosty
    My REAL recommendation is REALestate. Markets are depressed in many areas and countries. Lot's of foreclosures available. You can buy homes and commercial buildings at prices appropriate 20 years ago.
    Look at property taxes, demographics (people arriving and fleeing), climate, and infrastructure. Smaller homes are better investments. The baby boomers are retiring and headed for the sun. Empty nesters. They want good roads, good water, and good hospitals.
    Pay cash so no pressure if sits empty. Rentals maximise long term gain, don't sell, unless you can double your money. Maybe todays rent price is minimal, but in 10 years or less, you'll likeky get twice or thrice the monthly rent as now. Require HEFTY deposit against damage. Short term, 6 month or one year leases. So you can increase rent when market allows. Spread purchases around different areas, to eliminate risk on a single areas economy and growth.
    If you DO sell, sell on land contract, with a default clause. If they miss a couple months payments, property reverts to you.
    End of advice.
    :)

An income that increases with living costs is an enviable situation.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Ho Frosty one - I never claimed to know zot about either but expressed concern at what others had written and thought of some interest so passed it on, - as one is inclined to post other forms of "eye candy", but I seem to be unable to find the "non-smutty" stuff ... solely to evoke some discourse beyond the banal or anal? - seems a loosing struggle? and religion & politics is frowned upon... :D :eek:

Besides I am a poverty stricken grumpy old ******* of a pensioner on reduced benefits, yearning to vacate pseudo civilisation and 'go bush'.... and find some unclaimed land to do a little subsistence vegetable farming... Oh of your million dollars, send me $50K - I promise to spend it on something... (mast, rigging and sails)...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.