Are You Personally Prepared For a Natural Disaster?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Submarine Tom, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Have you not learned that PROHIBITION does not work? - Government control and management is far more effective at stopping the flow, but W.T.H., CIA is dependant on those activities to justify its continued funding and incompetence...

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Actually, the "free enterprise, free market, weak govt", was I was daydreaming about the "yankee traders" during age of sail. Other ships besides american plied the same trade.
    Buy a cheap cargo here, sail it to where it had MUCH value, trade for another cheap cargo, deliver and sell where it was precious, ect. Many captains retired as rich men, after 4 or 5 voyages over a dozen years. Pipedream. Maybe it NEVER was that way! :)

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I get really worried when I hear people say things like "prohibition does not work" and "legalize drugs".

Maybe they also thing we should legalize murder and robbery - as obviously prohibition does not work.

Also, when people complain against the "nanny state" rules, maybe they would like to see hordes of beggars on the streets like parts of Asia, or even participate in the system when they strike hard times.

I appreciate the safety nets built into civilized parts of the world. I also appreciate that our privileged positions are created by biased market and geographical situation, and that millions work hard to provide our enviable standard of living.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

there are victimless crimes and there are violent crimes, big difference. And not sure when the last time you've been over to the states but we've got hords of beggars at every major intersection. Yesterday on my way to breakfast I had to walk through the capitol area. Place was thick with street people all drying out there stuff on the sidewalks cause of the rainy night.

If you look at countries that have legalized drugs you'll find lower addiction rates, lower use rates and lower death rates, higher revenues, greater participation in cheaper drug treatment programs.

In a nut shell you just can't compare a victimless crime with a violent crime.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Oh come on RW extract your mind from 'nanny statehood' and look at the reality... As a kid I can remember places that used to be "opium dens" and the drug availability was there, but NO INTEREST in marketing something that may be perceived as "naughty but nice" - in effect it was controlled and there was no PROFIT MOTIVE to PUSH the stuff... USA tried to inhibit the consumption of alcohol and lots on the shady side of the law, made HUGE PROFITS from illegally selling more than before prohibition...

The love of stuff "prohibited" has continued to fester in USA and other countries where a profit motive makes 'trade' persist... Where there is controlled delivery, the market penetration is significantly reduced... It may be there but it is controlled and there is virtually no profit motive and so minimal illicit trade...

Are you old enough to remember the "6O'clock swill in Victoria? - it was bloody mayhem as the 5'O-clock workers desperately tried to down as much as possible before the "time gentlemen please" was bellowed around... - BLOODY INSANITY - Months after that ridiculous rouse was called off the situation remaining was the domain of alcoholics - - - But I am sure you have forgotten that that set of minor prohibition was a raging inferno of stupidity... PROHIBITION DOES NOT WORK...

6. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Sorry, you're too late - the market is already saturated.

I notice that you didn't touch on the main point - it's a free market economy and the *demand* is from the citizens of the USA. You WOD types are attempting to interfere with the free market that you proclaim is so great. Well, until you're on the wrong side of it anyway.

PDW

7. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Sorry but that's an reductio ad absurdum' type argument, not playing. If you can't see the difference, I can and it's pointless explaining it to you because you don't want to listen.

Been to Sydney recently? How about Fremantle or Perth?

I appreciate the safety nets as well but I also recognise stupidity & futility when I see it. The WOD has, along with the WOT, brought us truly massive erosions of our personal freedoms for no gain whatsoever.

One of the definitions of insanity is keeping on doing the same thing in the hope that this time it will be different.

How about you define just *what* you want to see in terms of outcomes WRT the WOD and what lengths you are prepared to go to get it? Then we can see if we agree, *provided* that if we try it and it still doesn't work ('work' also needs to be defined), *you* give up. I've had this discussion and every single time the WOD proponents never, ever give up in the face of repeated failures.

I don't really care if people take drugs as long as they don't operate moving machinery and they can pay for the damage they do to themselves in the process.

Funny thing - taxing tobacco has sort of plateaued because now the difference between the cost of production and retail sales with all the taxes is so great that there's a thriving black market. And let's not even mention marijuana, illegal for decades, hard to get & expensive, well, no.

Personally I only use a little wine, so my axe is the wanton erosion of what *used* to be my civil liberties. Thanks the wonderful WOT I'll be subject to a search of my vehicle before I put it on the ferry in a couple days. I *do* hope all those mainlanders feel so much safer.

PDW

8. masalai

masalai masalai

If you are not fully prepared, but you "measure up" in other ways Ms Gina Rinehart named world's richest woman at $29 billion, That equates to making more than $1,077,0540 every 30 minutes of every day. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-23/gina-rinerhart-worlds-richest-woman/4028686 Now even part of a days contribution should keep even the poorest successful suiter in a lifestyle above their wildest dreams...

9. longcours62

longcours62 Junior Member

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Its only money !! who cares !!!:(

11. masalai

masalai masalai

It is old hat, - - - in terms of the history of France against the time-line of ours (Western presence / 'conquest' in Australia is quite recent), equating to around the time of the Napoleonic wars, or the "French Revolution" and the use of the guillotine, which some suggested may be worthy of applying to both sides of that "flurry in a bagatelle" around Cronulla...

This story is far more interesting and may yet happen http://www.dailyreckoning.com.au/why-sooner-or-later-in-europe-someone-will-have-to-pay/2012/05/23/ "Why Sooner or Later in Europe Someone Will Have to Pay" - - - I even got a quiet chuckle out of it...

12. masalai

masalai masalai

So big it has been made into a best selling novel - How the west was lost - "Heist of the century: Wall Street's role in the financial crisis" http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/may/20/wall-street-role-financial-crisis - - - Far too many convolutions to be made into a movie, or even a miniseries - enough stuff there for a full 28 plus series of 2 hour movie length episodes, (even then heavily condensed), lasting for an extended season on 'the idiot box'...

Then there is this snippet to consider about "the land of the rising sun".... http://www.zerohedge.com/news/japans-wtf-chart - It goes well beyond WTF to at least OMGITtmfA? (Oh My God Is This the marker for Armageddon?). . . . . . . . .

WTF, almost everything herein has some useful information or ideas http://www.caseyresearch.com/gsd/ed...s-now-it-was-400-wits-golds-adam-fleming-says

It is a wise person who seeks to be forewarned as to the potential nature of the "natural disaster" - in this case entirely man-made and concocted...

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Over the past couple of weeks the "value" of the Au$ has been significantly eroded, - - This is 'market' evidence of the recognition of a significant slow-down in the Chinese manufacturing demands, - - - as the Au$ was used like an ETF weather vane on China's continued growth, which is funding Australia's "strength" with all the exports of iron ore, Coal, Bauxite and so on...

Nervousness on Greece, Spain, Italy in the collapse of the Euro has added to that concern...

The wheat crop in Canada, USA and Russia seem to have had a severe reduction in anticipated harvest tonnage - Prices are rocketing...

Corn crop is loosing value due to an expected surplus in USA - the biggest ever (How KORNY) - - - as this is because the subsidies offered by the US Gubmint to make bio-fuel - - - ethanol to add to your gas (petroleum), - - - so in USA you may have adequate gas to take your "gas-guzzler" to the local mall but no bread - unless you crave corn flour bread or reconstituted Korn flakes as your breakfast cereal from the residue in bio-fuel subsidised processes?

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The value of a currency is reflected by the economy of that countries future.

The demise of the Assie D is not because of China but because of the lack of confidence in Australias future.

To say that chinese imports from aus is all there is to it is nonesence, you export to other countries dont you.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Is this the new Global warming meeting place.

Oh how ide love a religion discussion, no shouting no cursing just opinions and reasons.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.