Are You Personally Prepared For a Natural Disaster?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Submarine Tom, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

If so, how?

No details, just generalities.

2. DStaal

DStaal Junior Member

Not at the moment. I have food for few weeks, a hand-operated water purifier, cooking materials for several weeks, and first aid/general supplies, but no ready emergency shelter or long-term supplies, which I would consider essential for that. I probably could make do if needed, but I wouldn't consider myself prepared.

3. Submarine Tom

All I have is my camping gear, a full tank of gas in the car, and lots of food in the kitchen.

I believe knowledge of what to expect can be valuable.

4. longcours62

longcours62 Junior Member

It is why you are thinking ....submarine !!??:idea:

5. Submarine Tom

No, you are thinking submarine.

6. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Ditto. The camping gear is quite extensive, including dried foods -- and then there's a trailer to carry it all, with generator, tools, and extra fuel.

Beyond that all I need is money. Working with the assumption that acceptance of fiat currency will be iffy at best, and that electronic funds will be useless -- I keep a good portion of my reserve in gold; all of it is in coin, in denominations down to 1/10th oz. If I have to barter, I can't assume that my trading partner will be able to make change.

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

we live on rural property 10 miles from the nearest town (and 30 miles from the nearest large city). You learn to be self sufficient because it is too much trouble to have to run to town every time you need nails, or fabric, or some pipe, first aid supplies, etc. We tend to shop for food in bulk since it saves money and saves trips to the store, we only buy fresh produce, dairy, and meat regularly (and locally). and we have a few goats and a garden for long term emergencies. We have enough food to last for a number of weeks (or months even if carefully managed). Our property is almost self sufficient except for electricity: lots of woods, well, septic system, can heat with firewood. And the power goes out often enough where we live (every winter, sometimes for days at a time), so we have other ways to make light, heat and get water, plus we have a generator that runs on propane (and we have 500 gal propane tank, might get another one soon, after I convert our cars to run on propane). We have been snow bound without power for up to 4 weeks, we just consider like a camping trip. We do okay, ski down the driveway and enjoy playing in the snow. We miss hot showers the most, and we do take hot sponge baths, we could take a full bath but we do not want to spend that much fuel for a full hot bath.

Most important item is a mindset of taking things as it comes, and having the knowledge to make or fix everything you will need.

Living outside the city is the best way to protect for a complete breakdown, be it man made or natural. When there is no authorities to hold the criminals at bay, cities can become very danger places. Where there have been total breakdowns no one can get in or out, no fuel, electricity, no law enforcement; you become at the mercy of roving gangs of armed criminals. When you live far outside the city not likely they will go that far to loot or steel, most could not even get the fuel to get there anyway.

IT is also much less stressful to live in the woods, the only down side is commute to work is tend to be longer (and consume more fuel). I am self employed and my office is only 15 min drive from out house.

If you really are worried about a total break down (which I am not, I just like living in the woods with mountain views), you have to make it a lifestyle choice to work toward self sufficiency. WE are not all the way there yet, it becomes very costly to be fully self contained and not really worth it, since those kind of emergencies rarely happen.

There is one thought to have a "retreat" home in remote areas, or an escape boat, and you can live in the city. But reading about breakdowns in other towns or countries shows you have a poor chance of actually getting to your emergency supplies if they are located remotely. In a total break down there is a good chance someone has already helped themselves to it if you should manage to find a way to get there.

8. Petros

Petros Senior Member

In a real break down it turns out currency and even gold do not have much value. Read this sobering story of how this guy and his family survived the breakdown in Bosnia when war broke out. Most valuable thing was knowledge, than fuel, medical supplies, batteries, food, guns and ammo. Even alcoholic drinks were more valuable than gold. (I have yet to convince my wife to stock up on cases of rum, vodka and others for "emergencies")

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/shtf-survival-qa-a-first-hand-account.htm

9. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Very true.

I lived in Manhattan on 9/11. I was trapped on the island for a few days, since they closed every method of exit while they were sorting things out. I had friends who stayed on my floor/couch because they were at work that day (from Brooklyn, Jersey and whatever). They had to sleep there because they could not get home. All trains were stopped. All bridges had armed guards closing them. All tunnels were carefully closed (guarded). All ferry service to/from Manhattan was suspended. Even that little gondola thing that goes from the East Side in the 50's over the East River to Roosevelt Island was closed. In short, we were absolutely, 100% trapped in the city and just hoping for the best. Luckily, the best is what we did get.

Answering the thread's main question...

Yes. I've been prepared for natural and man made disasters for years. My wife is prepared as well.

We are 100% ready, willing and able to go into a remote area (or any area that we deem to be the right one) with nothing but the clothes on our backs and do just fine. We have studied these techniques for years.

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Ditto. Other than that, nope.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  11. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Knowledge is the key. I say people should start where they live, and secure there first. Ask the right questions, like how to keep the ice box running untill the food is gone, how to protect themselfs, are there seeds and a place to grow anything,do they have anything to barter with? Second is if they have to leave the place they live , what do they take , how much can they take , where do they go, and how will they get there? If you have to take only a back pack you will find you can take very little. The right answers will not be the same for everyone, but the wrong answers may be. Rick.

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

People with medical needs would be pretty much screwed, lacking prescriptions and all that.

13. longcours62

longcours62 Junior Member

For us

Our main potential tool for survive 'in case' of big 'problem' is our boat .
    We living on board we are already 'at home' in our survival capsule ;)
    After one life living on board we got the habit to use the minimum of energy,
    during 4 year we just use energie from two solar pannels (average 500 w a day) and now we have 4 and we will receive today the N° 5 and 6 it mean we could expect an average of 1500 w a day too much for us ! (and in case of 'blackout' no more need (and possibility to connect to the web and tv :p) our connection to the web is via satellite)
    Our boat is a passagemaker with small rigging (we could go somewhere at limited speed)
    We always have some months of food on board ;even actually 126 kg of food for our dog around 300 days , may be in case of troubled times we will finish by eating the dog food !.
    I already try : it is very hard and not tasteful (but if our stomach cry ...)
    Water maker.
    But in case of big trouble the population become very quickly bad, the thin coat of varnish between us and caveman quickly peeling . In 1999 in France we got a big storm , and after that I saw in supermarket people fitting for ...dog food !!!
    Imagine what they (we !?) can do fore human food or medicament , my parent stay 15 days without electricity but we had a small generator and our neigbour bring their freezer to our home and and all the days we running the small generator for keeps freezing by rotation .
    But in France it is not like in USA , we can't (or is quiet difficult) buy and guns and amo.
    Even for just hunting gun if your not hunter you are not allowed to buy one .
    And , I thinik it decrease clairly our potential possibility in case of big trouble, we still could fishing and pried to not facing armed peoples with 'bads intentions)
    But actually in France it is not the end of the world ....It is just an election :D
    But...

14. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

If it were a real survival situation, you would eat the dog food and the dog. :) You are describing a holiday on a yacht, as we all take.

I am starting to think that if the support system of society breaks down, there won't be all that many people left after a few months. That makes actual survival easier.

To me, it seems like maybe 1 out of 3 at the most will live past the first few months.

I really like the "thin coat of varnish between us and caveman" comment. Very true.

15. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

I have always lived in South Florida. Since we started our family and depending on the season I am always ready for the typical Florida natural disaster.

Reinforced roof, full shutters, genset, fuel, food, water, chainsaw, etc.

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.