Are wooden pirogues safe and sturdy?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by mmelnick, Jan 11, 2011.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Terry, I'm not sure why you think 31" is too narrow a bottom to stand in. The first pirogue-type boat I ever built was a Caddo Lake Bateau. It was a double-ender with a max beam at the chines of only about 22", so I could plank the bottom with two nominal 1x12's.

I used to stand up in it quite comfortably, once I got used to it. And I'm certainly no gymnast.:p

Seems to me people in this thread are getting a little worked up for no particular reason. If thirty bucks and twenty hours gives someone a pirogue that does what he wants it to do, I'm certainly not going to argue. If someone else wants to invest more money, labor and planning to wring the maximum performance and looks out of a pirogue instead, I'm OK with that too.