Are these stringers?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by steury73, Apr 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. steury73

steury73 Junior Member

Hey Everyone, been some time as grinding came to a halt since summer was so hot/busy. Anyways, done grinding and about to start building. I'm still throwing ideas around those 2 'stringers' (the boards laid horizontal). As everyone's said on here, they're really not structural and more as support for the floor. Well I purchased some 1x4's which is what I assumed was wrapped, but they'll be a good bit short of even reaching up to the floor - meaning if I use them I'll have a 1/2"-1" gap between the top of the boards and the bottom of the floor. Would using PVC pipe ripped in half be an option? I know they're not strong, nor does resin bind, but just wanting to use it as a mold. It'll be a great shape, easy to place, and give me the height to reach the bottom of the floor. Thoughts? Would it work or would I be wasting my time?
    Thanks!

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

PVC Pipe is not only a great idea, but both Epoxy and Polyester stick to it like .... um, glue.

I formed Polyester around half a PVC pipe in a boat hull, and it lasted for over 10 years with no signs of delamination, after advice from other boat builders.

PVC isn't structural, as you say, but it doesn't rot, makes a smooth former, and is easy to cut and shape.

I would be inclined to use PVC pipe as a former for the whole stringer in preference to timber. You may even like to put "rat holes" at places, so that any moisture that gets in seeps out to the bilges.

There will be no problem if you make sure that there is enough glass to ensure the required strength.

3. steury73

steury73 Junior Member

Awesome and thanks for the quick reply! I read elsewhere that resin wouldn't adhere to PVC, but since you're speaking from experience I'll defer to your opinion. Thanks again!

4. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Any point in abrading the pipe with 80 grit for better adhesion?

fallguy likes this.
  5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I would use plywood or marine foam and build it up.

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I did give it a once over with some 80 grit paper, but the adhesion was as good if not better than that proper PVC cement that plumbers use from what I could tell.

7. BlueBell

Interesting, thanks rw.
    I'm in the position of running PVC pipe through polystyrene foam and having a hard time justifying the added weight and expense of pipe when I can simply router two half rounds, lay up some epoxy/1708 and glue the two halves together.

rwatson likes this.
  8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Saving weight is good.
    I presume "half rounds" is wood, so its only water absorption and rot you need to worry about.

9. BlueBell

Nope, polystyrene, like I said.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.