Can you help me choosing an engine?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by neovalk, Nov 4, 2005.

1. neovalk

neovalk Junior Member

Hello friends! I modestly come here to ask for help.

I am and student of Industrial Design, and my topic this semester for creation was the nautical area of transports.
    Our projects are not supposed to be totally functional or work practically, but we must reach the closest to reality our short experience allows.

Well, my problem is related to this boat bellow. I have its dimensions in meters (sorry, in Brazil we work with this scale, mainly).

[​IMG]

This boat is mainly built in fiberglass (please ignore the fact that this may not be built with this material, just consider it possible), and is propelled by one central propeller and driven by one rudder after the propeller. I intend this boat to move at a max speed of 8 knots.

Well, unfortunately I can’t calculate its weight and drag right now, (which I know that are very important things to consider), but I would like someone to give me any engine suggestions, based on your experiences with it.

Please make any observations you may please to help me with this work.
    Thanks forward.
    Leonardo Baptista Lopes.

2. Deering

Deering Senior Member

What is the intended purpose of this boat? It looks like a short ferry/tender - they use something similar to lighter passengers from cruise ships here that are anchored out. This might be a good candidate for an all-electric drive - that avoids exhaust issues, fuel storage, noise, etc. Assuming adequate time between trips to recharge batteries.

3. neovalk

neovalk Junior Member

well, the purpose is indeed something like a ferry boat. It may not go to high sea, doing only a coastal trajectory more or less 20km long. As I want the trips to be as long as 1 hour or 1 and a half hour, an speed of 8 knots may be enough.
    It will also carry about 39 passengers plus the driver.
    You say it is possible to use an electrical drive here right? That's very nice, because I don't want to think of exhausting, and two of the goals are: noise reduction and polution reduction.
    Well, if I'll use your suggestion, I only need to know now what engine to use, which model.

Thank you very much!

4. Deering

Deering Senior Member

5. neovalk

neovalk Junior Member

That's nice! I'm going to check it! I'll choose an engine size wisely, as I have the hull dimensions.
    Thank you!