Are there any women here?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by mydauphin, Oct 6, 2010.

1. wardd

wardd Senior Member

not to the really really weird

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Ask a strange question here and get some really strange answers. Wardd, I don't think your my type... I like my women without certain accoutrements.

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I really appreciate that

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

It's all a matter of perspective.

If you're on a ship for 6 months with only men (or live in Alaska, which is the same thing), then your standards may change.

Remember, it's not gay if you're under way, it's only queer by the pier!

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I think this thread is going...to don't ask, don't tell.

6. DianneB

DianneB Junior Member

Having read through all 4 pages and having been in "a non-traditional field over 40 years and design & construction for 30 years, the only comment that I feel came close is 'why would they want to'? ;)

In my engineering group of about 40 people, we have two female techs (one besides me) and a female engineer. The lady engineer will talk things to death (like most engineers) but neither of us techs have much hesitation about diving in and getting dirty. But then she (the other tech) is in to horses and I am more into machinery.

I wouldn't even consider a design/build boat project for two reasons: #1 I don't have enough "free time" to start from scratch, and #2 it isn't economical. I have picked up two really nice boats very inexpensively because they need work and I am Scottish enough to do some work to save money.

So I hang around here to pick up those RARE bits of wisdom that come from men (infrequently) :eek:

Now I will leave you guys to discuss your sexuality ....... :D

7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

You are saying women are too smart to get involved with boat building? Perhaps :(

8. wardd

wardd Senior Member

that must be me because I'm infrequently wise :)

9. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

"Boats are like rabbits: you can have one boat or many boats but you can't have 2 boats" - A. Onassis

- try your local pub; we do better with a beer or two inside us ...

- something else we do better with a beer or two ...

10. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Ok i s*ck at mathematics .... guess im too intouch with my feminine side :S

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Men tend to be philosophical or mechanically oriented not both. It's rare for a man to be both mechanically inclined and have artistic flair. I'm one of the few that I've met in my live that are both. I'm just as comfortable making a 10' x 50' relief sculpture, as I did a few years ago on a book store facade, as I am solving difficult mechanical or mathematical problems. This is hemisphere domination and common of the vast majority of men.

Most men are "left hemisphere" oriented, meaning they are more comfortable with problem solving, then deciding if the evening sky is a notable or particular shade of dark blue. This "arrangement" is what most men have and also determines you to be right handed.

About 10% of the population is left handed, or right hemisphere dominate. If you are oriented this way (you don't have a choice) you tend to be more artistic and philosophical about the way you approach life's difficulties. A high percentage of movie stars are left handed, musicians and of course artists too. They don't need problem solving skills, but need to be able to "feel" their way through an issue.

Women on the other hand are quite different. The corpus callosum, which are the lateral connections between the brain's hemisphere's, are much more numerous then in men. The many cognitive functions that seem to be hemisphere dominated in men are much less so in women. This makes women much better multi-taskers then men.

The physical differences between men and woman's brains are being better understood every year. These figures aren't written in stone, but just some generalities for those interested. For example those that seem to be left hemisphere dominate, may actually be right dominate about 15% of the time. Of these about 20% of the time folks can be "bilateral" in regard to their dominate brain half. This is what I am and most would call me ambidextrous, though I'm in fact left handed, but was forced to be right handed as a very young lad. As a result of some tests done many years ago after an accident, I discovered I too have a very high fibrous strand count in my corpus callosum. The doctor said it look more like a woman's brain then a man's, but this was attributed to the fact I'm a twin and it's not uncommon among paternal twins for this to occur. Now, I know where you guys are about to go with this thing and I've been down this road before, but I have a distinct advantage over most men, because of these fibrous connections and I've taken advantage of them all my life. The point being that there are differences from the "typical" arrangement found between the sexes, but for the most part, women just aren't all that interested in the "mechanical" arts, because of the way their brain is arranged.

12. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Interesting data Paul; does that mean you understand women?

I too am ambidextrous in most things including writing. I have changed hands a few times over the years, currently writing left-handed; oddly my writing looks similar with either hand. I am a problem solver but can multi-task well - although I am losing some of that ability with age. Visualising things in 3 dimensions seems a lot easier for me than for most folks. I do consider myself creative, but not artistic - being color blind may be a factor.

However, fiber content is dietary for me ...

13. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Thanks for your post Murielle, and a great video. It's very inspiring, but no dogs cats ducks (or Mark) in sight :)

Please link to some more videos as you carry on.

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

No, Terry, I don't "understand" women, though I do have a much better grasp of the physical and social differences then the average man.

I started out life as an artist, but also noticed an interest in mechanical things. At the ripe age of 6, my mother caught me with a butter knife in hand, laying on my side in front of the washer. I'd removed the 4 screws holding the lower access panel to the bottom of the washing machine and took off the panel. She asked what I was doing and I replied that I was trying to figure out how it worked. This was the moment she knew her life was screwed, as I took most every item apart in the house hold after this.

In high school, I had a high math tolerance and was the "gifted" artist. Since I wasn't related to Norman Rockwell or Pacaso, I elected to go into engineering.

I'd like to second Mike John's request Murielle.

15. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Par when I was 11 , I took fly-back high voltage transformer out of old tv and wanted to make ion engine as per Popular mechanics instruction. I built it next mom's washer which it consequently hit and melt a hole in it like an arc welder. Consequently, destroyed every household appliance until I got into boats and cars. My mom was happy when I got into computers. Moving back to aeronautics sometime in future so watch out.