Are there any Kraken 33/35 Owners around?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Franzi.v.B., Feb 7, 2012.

1. Franzi.v.B.

Franzi.v.B. Junior Member

Hi Hielan,

yes, that would be cool.

Thanks,

Franzi

2. pogo

pogo ingenious dilletante

One of the dutch Kraken is the "Hokus Pokus", a fast boat pointing very high.
    The other one is "Het Verstand van Pooh", her mast is shorter for less hobbyhorsing--Krakens are known for this.
    "Het Verstand van Pooh " is since building in the hands of one family and still wins races.
    In the Netherland also exists at least one Buccaner 33, Kraken`s cruising sister with much more interior volume.
    Adresses of the current owners are available via CTC.

pogo

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've thought in the past that a carbon mast would be of huge benefit to Krakens and Twiggys. Ian Johnston cut a small amount off the top of his Twiggys mast and it improved the boats manners enourmously. I've had a carbon wing mast drawn for my Kraken 25 will be interesting to see how it goes.

4. Franzi.v.B.

Franzi.v.B. Junior Member

@Corley

Interesting. Who drew your Carbon mast? How much was the person asking for it? Any other comments?

Thanks,

Franziska

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

My mast section was drawn for me by Chris Tucker at Chris Tucker Marine Design. http://www.ctmd.com.au
    He offered two configurations a)design of bare section or b) full design of mast, spreaders and mast base. I opted to just have the bare section designed his design fee was very reasonable. He will probably need some info on your boat such as a sailplan and possibly some info on displacement, righting moment etc.

His website looks to be mostly about commercial boats but he is a keen sailor and races off the beach mosquito catamarans.

Chris gives you some weblinks to look at for DIY'ing your mast and the design is certainly within the scope of an amateur builders skills to construct. I'm going to build mine simply because I've not built a mast before and am interested in the method.

6. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.